Light-O-Rama Forums

Preparation

Mark Porter

This is my second year with the LOR system. Last year I just made stuff quickly, plugged lights into the controller (the beginner 16 channel unit) and hoped for the best. It went well enough to upset "Mr Christmas" down the road from me as I made his static display look, well, static.

My question is... When does the average Joe/Joanne start the prep for their Christmas show? I broke out my controllers and laptop in last weekend but I've been editing shows and making sketches of what I want to do this year since I took down last year's show in January.

I've been looking at the shows/displays on YouTube and I'm blown away by the technical expertise involved. I understand that most shows are built upon the shoulders of the prior years show(s) but gee-whiz! After watching these shows I want to curl up in the fetal position as I can't figure out how this 'magic' is accomplished. I want to do some spiral mega trees and leaping arches but then my mental melt down starts.

Okay... I've vented my spleen.

Carry on. I will be in the area all day.

Mark Porter wrote:

This is my second year with the LOR system. Last year I just made stuff quickly, plugged lights into the controller (the beginner 16 channel unit) and hoped for the best. It went well enough to upset "Mr Christmas" down the road from me as I made his static display look, well, static.

My question is... When does the average Joe/Joanne start the prep for their Christmas show? I broke out my controllers and laptop in last weekend but I've been editing shows and making sketches of what I want to do this year since I took down last year's show in January.

I've been looking at the shows/displays on YouTube and I'm blown away by the technical expertise involved. I understand that most shows are built upon the shoulders of the prior years show(s) but gee-whiz! After watching these shows I want to curl up in the fetal position as I can't figure out how this 'magic' is accomplished. I want to do some spiral mega trees and leaping arches but then my mental melt down starts.

Okay... I've vented my spleen.

Carry on. I will be in the area all day.

I started this past January, there were props I wanted that couldn't be found in a store and with the help of these folks here I made them from scratch (3ft mini trees from tomato cages, 2ft "north poles" from 4" PVC/toiletflange/globe, etc.). You can't worry to much about some of what you see on youtube unless you have deep pockets. Some of what you may see has taken someone weeks or maybe months to do. Start with what you want to do as far as props, get them decided on and if necessary built.

Once I setup my display I will most likely go with a short show at first of songs that are really tight and then add more music/effects as I get a few things tweaked.

Mark -

For many of us, this is an all year thing... I usually start in February, working on new display elements, and sequencing. This year I've been grinching, so I'm just getting up to speed now. It goes without saying that since I started so late this year, my show will be much like last year's.

I feel that to have a great show, you don't need a dozen controllers, or a million lights... but the timing in your swquences must be right on. I also like a more "structured" look, instead of just strings of lights placed willy-nilly around the yard. Symetry is also good, but not always possible.

And as with most anything, practice makes perfect. NOW GET BACK TO SEQUENCING!

D.T.

Hahahaha!!! I would expect nothing less from a Jersey guy!
My sequences look great on the laptop. I hope the work translates well on the display.

Thanks Dave!

Mark Porter wrote:

Hahahaha!!! I would expect nothing less from a Jersey guy!
My sequences look great on the laptop. I hope the work translates well on the display.

Thanks Dave!
unless it is too costly or time consuming to do so. setup your props and run thru a few sequences. that is what i did for Halloween. lined all my props up and down my hallway in my business office. then fired everything up.

Hi Mark, this is my second year with LOR too, before that I was the Mr. Christmas guy with the large static display. Last year I had 30 channels running and thought it was the coolest thing ever. this year I'll have 62 and 4 CCRs and am just feeling overwhelmed trying to sequence 660 channels, so don’t feel bad.
Anyway, I've been keeping up, looking at videos and tutorials all year. I got serious about making my new elements and getting ready for this year in late July, and now as October approaches, Christmas is on the forefront of my mind, and occupying most of my free time.

Arches are not that hard to do, heck, even I did them. I would suggest the sleeve method for them and an odd number of channels. I have 5 arches that use a total of 14 channels. Odd numbers give you a nice over the top transition. I can send you a sequence that you can see them if you want. If you need help with your Mega tree, Don't ask jimswinder!!! Only kidding. And I usually start in January with planning, but like down town, I've been slacking off this year. Buy a couple thousand feet of SPT.

I set up some stuff last weekend and ran through a few
sequences. I had 32 strings of lights all over the floor of my basement and got a little nauseous! Lots of blinking lights in a confined space!

Mark Porter wrote:

I set up some stuff last weekend and ran through a few
sequences. I had 32 strings of lights all over the floor of my basement and got a little nauseous! Lots of blinking lights in a confined space!
i sorta setup stuff like it will appear in the show (floods against a wall, strobes, etc.). gives me a better idea. even constructed a 6 foot "mega tree" - the power of PVC.

Mark Porter wrote:

My question is... When does the average Joe/Joanne start the prep for their Christmas show?

Really depends on what you want to do NEXT year...as most, if not all the good sales for lights (Pre-Order sales) and controllers (Spring Inventory Reduction) happen the first part of the year...so you need to start planning next years show/display while you are out enjoying THIS years show!!

For me, have been planning, building, buying, sequencing, waiting (and cursing) since January and find it hard to believe it is almost October and the "lights go on" in less than 56 days!!!!!

And I am not even close to being ready...

PS: don't listen to anyone named shfr26...especially when building arches!!!

PSS: just kidding...he did a great job...and like us here on the forum, make sure you have FUN with your display!!!!

Mark Porter wrote:

After watching these shows I want to curl up in the fetal position as I can't figure out how this 'magic' is accomplished.

This hobby is like any other hobby: You start out knowing not very much and over the years you learn that there are even more things that you don't know!

The 2nd year is the hardest because there are now expectations and you already did everything the first year.

On the 3rd year you can look back at videos/sequences you did the first year and realize how much you improved.

and got a little nauseous! Lots of blinking lights in a confined space!

Then, in September (!!??!!) of the 5th year, you get this anonymous comment posted to your web site:
It was really really cool and I wish I could come see it every year. I think it's great how you get your neighbors involved, too. If I had to recommend any changes, I would say that your show is a bit crazy and all over the place; it seems like you were just trying to stuff lights into every place you could think of, and make them move and blink as much as possible. The Severns-Pease display has much more concentrated blocks of lights with patterns and clearly delineated shapes (i.e. the trees), which gives it a classier feel. However, not only do I know that the Severns-Pease guy has been at it for over 15 years, but I LOVE crazy and colorful, so thanks for the show and keep up the good work!

OK, a compliment, and I really appreciate the feedback, but yeah, I know my display's not as good as the guy who's been doing it 4 times as long. So this year I'm trying to "tone down" some of the crazy blinking nausea-inducing lights.

Yes, it's a hobby that takes work. But it's worth it!

Steven wrote:

It was really really cool and I wish I could come see it every year. I think it's great how you get your neighbors involved, too. If I had to recommend any changes, I would say that your show is a bit crazy and all over the place; it seems like you were just trying to stuff lights into every place you could think of, and make them move and blink as much as possible. The Severns-Pease display has much more concentrated blocks of lights with patterns and clearly delineated shapes (i.e. the trees), which gives it a classier feel. However, not only do I know that the Severns-Pease guy has been at it for over 15 years, but I LOVE crazy and colorful, so thanks for the show and keep up the good work!
So had to check out this Severns-Pease guy...

did I read it right? His display is SOLAR powered???? :shock:

http://www.severex.com/xmas.html

Attached files 266728=14781-pv_xmas-758x320.jpg

jimswinder wrote:

did I read it right? His display is SOLAR powered???? :shock:

He has enough solar panels on his house to completely offset his electric usage, including his Christmas display, his Tesla Roadster, and his Chevy Volt. No, it's not directly solar powered, but that sounds good for marketing.

Well Jim, I think we are out of this one, not enough sun here in the NW for solar in the middle of Winter!

Very cool display, and no cost.. that is pretty awesome.