Light-O-Rama Forums

Hanging Icicles

Arnoldc

To make a very long story short, I am looking for a solution to hang icicle lights up on my fascia board. The thing is since I live in a town house, I do not want to nail anything to the exterior of the house. I have an idea, but will get expensive pretty quick.. Here is the idea:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=3m+products&hl=en&sugexp=pfwc&cp=8&gs_id=14&xhr=t&q=3m+hooks&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=834&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16673183965539459378&sa=X&ei=SESDToyhD-rnsQLMm8mNDw&sqi=2&ved=0CIYBEPMCMAI
I do not know if they will hold up to outside weather conditions. But I am up for ideas..

Thanks!

Hi what I did for mine is i hung all the icicle lights on peices of 1/2 pvc the put small eyebolts on the pipe about every 3 foot with a stainles steel hook screwed in to the house I live the hook part screwed in year round to keep the hole pluged and all so makes it easier to hang and the stainless wont rust or any thing I have been using this set up for 4 years now with no problems

I own my house and didn't want to drill into the facia. My solution was to buy cup hooks from Lowes and screw them through the holes in the soffet (no drilling necessary). Put them about 18" apart.

I'll try and remember to take some pictures when I get home. I tested them with 4 strings, so I know they'll hold.

Mark Showalter wrote:

Part of the roof is flat, so no shingles, or gutters. The main thing is I didn't want to make a hole in any of the house wood so to speak.
The staples have come up before, and I do have permission to do that. I am just floating plan b just incase they change their minds..

Guest Don Gillespie

Arnold do you have aluminum soffit and fascia on the house? the reason I am asking this is if you do you can clip the lights to the underside of the fascia in this photo you can see that I have inserted my pen behind the fascia this is where you would clip your lights also a picture of your house might help.

Attached files 266471=14775-I-phone pics.jpg

David Rise wrote:

I own my house and didn't want to drill into the facia. My solution was to buy cup hooks from Lowes and screw them through the holes in the soffet (no drilling necessary).  Put them about 18" apart.

I'll try and remember to take some pictures when I get home.  I tested them with 4 strings, so I know they'll hold.

Attached files 266492=14777-IMG_0243.jpg

Oh I wish that these homes where built right! Sometimes I really wish I didnt buy this house..
No, there is no soffet. The roof back in the day used to be wood shingles, so when they converted to composite shingles, the didn't see the need to vent.. UGH! From the brick to the roof projection is about 1". If I get home before the sun goes down I will try to take pictures..
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Is there any way you could attach some Velcro strip to the icicle strings (zip ties?) and have the other part of the Velcro on the house permanently (assuming that part of the house is painted in a color you can match with Velcro?

I'm using white outdoor Velcro strips for my RGB strip lighting this year... looks very clean, and you can't even see the Velcro on the white eves when the lights aren't attached to it.

Just a thought.

Arnoldc wrote:

Oh I wish that these homes where built right! Sometimes I really wish I didnt buy this house..
No, there is no soffet. The roof back in the day used to be wood shingles, so when they converted to composite shingles, the didn't see the need to vent.. UGH! From the brick to the roof projection is about 1". If I get home before the sun goes down I will try to take pictures..

No soffet? Sorry, you are now required to move.....LOL

David Rise wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

No soffet? Sorry, you are now required to move.....LOL[/quote

I'm planning on moving soon.. I git a 3 year plan.. it was 2. Years til I got introduced to LOR!

Arnoldc wrote:

David Rise wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:

No soffet? Sorry, you are now required to move.....LOL[/quote

I'm planning on moving soon.. I git a 3 year plan.. it was 2. Years til I got introduced to LOR!
But now you know what the LOR requirements are for the new place, right? :P

jtampa, I have to climb on the roof, I do not recall exactly how the shingles and soffet are, but if I recall by memory that there is no way to attach any type of clip.

David-
Yes! as a matter of fact, I have been thinking of building my own house (right!) but back in reality, but when looking I always make sure that the house will work with a display. I have a must have list, and there is a good hunk of stuff dealing with my display before I even get to the inside must haves!