Light-O-Rama Forums

show scheduling

Ted W

Orville wrote:

Dave Boros wrote:
The startup shutdown, is that thru a pc olerated, or can ot be done via mini director?

You can do a startup with the mDC-Mini or DC-MP3 Showtime Directors, but there is no option for a shutdown sequence.   Doing both usually requires a PC to accomplish, but it can be done, it's just more time consuming and a royal pain in the bum.   So I don't use them myself.  I figure why waste the space on the SD card that can be used for more sequences in a show, instead of one that runs only when the show starts, if I were to do a startup, it'd just be part of my regular show and repeat when the show looped back to the beginning.   For a shutdown sequence I'd just set it to run that immediately after the time I have my DC-MP3 Showtime Director end the show.   It's a lot easier to do this with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director because it has an internal clock, and is why I paid the extra $$ to have that option.   It has saved me a lot of headaches in both creating, starting and ending my shows by having the timer built into the unit where I can set it and forget it.

Using an external timer requires everything to be more precise in the timing using the mDC-Mini Director, an issue I don't have with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director.

Far as I'm concerned my DC-MP3 Showtime Director has already paid for itself in the time it's saved me from having to figure out exactly when my show would end and set a manual/digital timer to accomplish what I do just by telling it when to start and end my shows, run my overnight 50% random type fades of all items and then start my morning/daytime FM transmission of Halloween music until time for the show to start up all over again.

Beleive me, I looked at the mDC-Mini Director unit and figured out real quick it wouldn't serve my needs because of the lack of the internal clock!  Plus if you do use an external timer that doesn't have a battery backup, if power fails and you're not home to correct it, your show may not run or run incorrectly.  I have never suffered that issue with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director, power comes back on, show starts from the SD card and internal timer and runs until the end time set.

Definitely worth it's weight in gold in my opinion over the mini director unit!

But that's just MY opinion.

So I'm better off running a show that doesn't "start up" per say, maybe just have a generic greeting, that way when it loops, it wont seem out of place

Dave Boros wrote:

So I'm better off running a show that doesn't "start up" per say, maybe just have a generic greeting, that way when it loops, it wont seem out of place

That's what I'd do if it were me. Again, just my opinion, but that, too me, would actually be your best option using the mini director.