Light-O-Rama Forums

spt1 wire

Wayne K

Has anyone found a good place to buy spt1 wire for the upcoming season at a good price?

Been looking thru the forums here and have not found any post about wire so far.

Thanks

Wayne

I have a local supplier that gets me 1000ft rolls for $110.00 i am currently having someone build me a website with a online store, i plan to resell them for the same price but with all the projects I have going on at this time of the year I don't have time to offer them for sale this year.

I will follow up when that happens.

Wayne pm me let me know how many you need if you can't find a lower price, I'll be willing to meet you and drop them off in person, I'll be up in The Elkhart area in three weeks to pick up an enclosed trailer I had built.

For comparison:
Bought from Grandbrass.com earlier this year and got a good deal. 18/2 SPT1 brown 250' for $22.50. Bought five of them and shipping was $17.95, so $130.45 shipped for 1250'.

Present deals:
WI18SPT1I 18/2 SPT-1 IVORY 250' 4+ $25.00 Ea
WI18SPT1W-E 18/2 SPT-1 White 250' 4+ $26.00 Ea.
http://www.grandbrass.com
search for "lamp cord"

Another place to always check is http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/lampcord.aspx
SPT1 white 1000' for $0.11/ft
Better yet is the SPT2 18/2 brown, black, white, or ivory for $0.11/ft (if over 1000')

shfr26 wrote:

Any reason not to use white???

In your climate, it would be very visible, possibly even during the show.

I believe white has the lowest UV resistance (although it was shown in another thread that's not a problem in the winter.)

I think the white color comes from lead, at least if the cable is made in China. I'm not sure if the lead content is different for other colors, however.

Edit: I just did some research and found that yes, lead was used is the past to make white paint, but this is not the reason that power cords contain lead. The reason is that the insulation is made from PVC, which much be stabilized to keep it from disintegrating. Lead is the most economical material to stabilize PVC, which is why all power cords made in China contain it. Cords made in the E.U. use something else.

In short, my 3rd point above is not valid because there is no more lead in white cord than in other colors.

Wayne K wrote:

Has anyone found a good place to buy spt1 wire for the upcoming season at a good price?

Been looking thru the forums here and have not found any post about wire so far.

Maybe this could help. I liked buying them in 250' and the price is good. check out http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cfm?category=Wire&subcategory=On%20the%20Roll%20or%20Loose

Wayne K wrote:

Just bought 1000' from Americord. Be sure to call the sales dept to get the lowest price if ordering over 500'. I paid 12 cents a foot, which is their lowest price point.

grodq wrote:

Wayne K wrote:

Just bought 1000' from Americord. Be sure to call the sales dept to get the lowest price if ordering over 500'. I paid 12 cents a foot, which is their lowest price point.
Buying 500 'it's 15 cents a foot, that is still a great price!

grodq wrote:

Wayne K wrote:

Dang, just called them yesterday and it was 14 cents a foot. Bought it from Skycraft for 11 cents, but had to get white. With all my trim being white, should not have a problem. SPT 2 is the same price, at least today it was.

Thanks everyone.

I just got time to check back here, I will look at all of these sites and decide which one to order from.

Wayne