Light-O-Rama Forums

PC CTB16PC Kit

David Rise

Well, my first soldering kit and things went fairly well. I installed one piece in the wrong spot and another piece in the wrong direction.
But the soldering went pretty good. In fact, I'm not sure why i was so hesitant about it.

I was almost done and came across 3 pieces that I thought were missing. turned out that they solder directly to the board. I was looking for a piece like U1 and U2 that gets soldered to the board and the chip get pressed into.

Continuing on. I've only been at it for a few hours. Should have all 3 done by this weekend.

Don't feel bad, done that a few times myself, I nevered worried about fixing it, LOR makes them removable so incase there is every an upgrade on firmware that those chips won't handle, they can make the option of replacing them. I figured, when the time comes, I'll worry about it. Have had one board like that for four years now....

Glad your having fun, that's what it's about. I am rate there with you, I just got done #2 of 3 that needs to get soldered.

Well not sure how you burnt those holes in your shorts and shirt. But I think everyone that has soldered for awhile will tell you how they lost their grip on the iron and it was fumbled into their lap. Boy talk about a person moving quickly. But then you have to stop and think how you are going to grab that soldering iron or burn your hands. but then too, which is worse? Burnt hands or family jewels? :shock:

That's exactly what happened. I should've spent the extra money and got a soldering station to hold the iron. Good thing I wore loose clothes.

David Rise wrote:

I was looking for a piece like U1 and U2 that gets soldered to the board and the chip get pressed into.

A friend of mine soldered his first board without reading the instructions carefully and soldered U2 directly to the board rather than using the socket.

That wouldn't have been a big problem, except that he soldered it in backwards!

Fortunately, LOR support sent him a replacement and I helped him cut and remove the backwards one.

I have one that I put 2 parts in the wrong way.
A solder sucker tool I guess is considered a specialty tool and none of the stores have them on hand. Had to order one online.
So I put that one aside and will finish it up later and use it as my backup.

Working on the second today. Since I'm color blind, had to have a neighbor come over and identify R5, R6, R30, & R31 for me. Sure helps when you know your putting the right part in the right space. :cool:

David Rise wrote:

A solder sucker tool I guess is considered a specialty tool and none of the stores have them on hand. Had to order one online.

consider getting some solder wick also...its the other half of the one-two punch when it comes to removing components.

DonFL wrote:

David Rise wrote:

consider getting some solder wick also...its the other half of the one-two punch when it comes to removing components.

Oh sure NOW you tell me.....where were ya when I ordered the solder sucker tool?...:P

The good news is that one board is complete and it tested sucessfully....YIPPEE!

David Rise wrote:

DonFL wrote:
David Rise wrote:

Oh sure NOW you tell me.....where were ya when I ordered the solder sucker tool?...B)

The good news is that one board is complete and it tested sucessfully....YIPPEE!

Why didn't you ask before you ordered??...:P:P:D:D

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Was just about to finish my 3rd kit, when I noticed I had reversed Q16 and Q17. Out came the solder sucker but sure as shooting broke one of the legs on Q17 :X Now I gotta wait for a replacement part to finish my network of 6 controllers. :( At least I have enought to run my show right now...If the Wife would let me set-up REALLY early :D

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

Out came the solder sucker but sure as shooting broke one of the legs on Q17 :X

The controller will work without Q17. It just won't be ably to power an accessory, such as an SC-485, USB-485, ELL, or Mini Director.

Max-Paul wrote:

Well not sure how you burnt those holes in your shorts and shirt. But I think everyone that has soldered for awhile will tell you how they lost their grip on the iron and it was fumbled into their lap. Boy talk about a person moving quickly. But then you have to stop and think how you are going to grab that soldering iron or burn your hands. but then too, which is worse? Burnt hands or family jewels? :shock:

HAHAHAHA! That made me laugh!

Glad you enjoyed my little store of sorts PaulXmas.

The air around me was turning blue for a few minutes when it happened. But it was one of those things that you laugh about later. Sure does make you learn to keep a better grip on the iron. :D

Max-Paul wrote:

Glad you enjoyed my little store of sorts PaulXmas.

The air around me was turning blue for a few minutes when it happened. But it was one of those things that you laugh about later. Sure does make you learn to keep a better grip on the iron. ;)

Even when you think you have done everything you can to protect yourself things happen. I was under my truck cutting some bolts off with my torch wearing full face shield, leather jacket and gloves. A molten bead rolled down my shield across my jacket and then down my shirt onto my neck. I rolled out from under my truck and jumped up only to have the molten bead roll down to the next lowest point my shorts. I still have the scars to prove it. It only took three days worth of ice to make it feel better. :{

Ok, am I the only one who went into instant complete involuntary cringe mode as they read Todd's post?...I almost went to the freezer and grabbed some ice myself...just to be be safe..:shock::shock:

DonFL wrote:

Ok, am I the only one who went into instant complete involuntary cringe mode as they read Todd's post?...I almost went to the freezer and grabbed some ice myself...just to be be safe..:shock::shock:

NO!!! I say in a high squeaky voice!