Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting Wireframe Ropelight Snowflakes on the Roof

paulanator

This weekend my brother and I worked on a roof mount system for the wireframe snowflakes I have put together.

I have a photo here that shows how freakin bright one is, and there will be 15 up there!.

If you are interested in details, I have a full write up and detailed photos over on Holiday University.

http://holidayuniversity.com/forums/index.php/topic,1156.0.html

Attached files 264447=14663-SnowflakeroofSteve2_small.jpg

I have been looking for some quality LED snowflakes that are not too expensive. Did you make the actual snowflakes yourself or did you buy them somewhere? The concept seems simple. I can see the rope light tracing the outline of the wireframe but the wireframe seems powder coated and welded together which makes me think it is store bought and might be something I could use in my display as well.

I bought those larger ones from Christmas LEDs during their early sale this year. They have a lot of nice frames, and they also have some pre made ones with lights on them.

Just took the power coated frame, and lined them with the rope light, using white zip ties all around.

The rope light is cutable about every 36" or so, there is a cut line printed on the rope light. Bought the rope light in 150 foot rolls.

The medium snowflake is about 36" and the large is about 46". The medium one takes 30.5 feet of rope light, and the large one takes 67 feet.

Time wise to put the lights on, 2 hours on the Med, 4 hours on the large.

• 1 month later...

We got all the snowflakes mounted and controllers up for the little rascals. Here is a quick video of tonights test.

• 2 years later...
  • The topic was locked