Light-O-Rama Forums

Are you in over your head?

David Rise

Ordered 3 more controllers Wednesday morning. I was so excited to get my order in, that I didn't even realize that these are the soldering kits.....OH, OH! This is going to get messy.....LOL

This will be the first time that I've ever had to solder anything.

On the bright side, if things go well, my next purchase will be the kit without the enclosure (another huge savings)

Just think that I started planning for a simple 32 channel 2 color show. Instead, I have purchased all new R,G,B,W LED's, and I'm up to 5 controllers, and 2 CCR's.

If anyone is having doubts or thinks they are in over their head, just look at me. This is my first year. I have absolutely no soldering skills, no building skills. In fact, about the only skill that I have is a good sense for planning things out and I'm very mechanically inclined.

Nothing like jumping in head first. I always say, go big or stay home.

I feel your pain, brother...

In January of 2008 Sharon and I started this journey debating between 16 and 32 channels. That quickly morphed into 48 versus 64, which quickly morphed into 80 versus 96. When Thanksgiving finally rolled around we lit up 144, and I was already planning an upgrade for 2009. Today, we're at 450+ regular channels, 3 CCRs, and a still-undetermined number of CCBs. 2012? That depends on what Dan offers during the spring sale. I already have a waiting list for what I'd do with even more.

Nicely done David! I went 32, 64, and 160...I just got 2 CCR's in the mail yesterday, and I'm trying to error on the side of caution and leave them boxed for 2011..having enough issues getting my sequences changed from 64 to 160. I think we all like the pressure of being in over our head, if you didn't feel that way, the you wouldn't be living the dream!

If it makes you feel any better, this is also my first year. I started with 32 channel starter kit, and BEFORE the first package arrived, I decided I wanted another controller. So I was up to 48.. I started sequencing in March, and just now finished all my planned 12 songs. Then the sale hit.... I put my credit card in the freezer with water so I would not purchase anything. Well.. darn it, they accept paypal. So I got one more controller on the way for NEXT year..
I already started planning for next year. I want a weber tree, and I am dedicating this controller to it. Now, I just got to figure out the light color situation.
here I thought my airplane hobby was expensive.....

I know I am. It all started when I saw a news story on Planet Christmas in 2006. I keep buying controllers, but have never had the time to get them synched to music, it has always just been animations. This year it looks like I will actually have both the time and money to do a complete show

I just ordered 3 kits as well with no real soldering experience :shock: but with all the advice available on here it just has to be worth giving it a go!! Luckily for me i have a close friend who has ordered 3 kits at the same time so we shall share the journey. WE CAN'T WAIT lol :dude:

I just put my first kit together last weekend and it really wasn't that bad. Just make sure to take your time and read all instructions first. . .:)

David, I had 30 channels last year, this year I've got 62 + 4 ccrs, I've added several elements and am still building more, so YES I am in WAY OVER MY HEAD and wondering how the hell I'm going to get it all done in the next month.
My saving grace I have is I have a month between set-up and lights on, to tweak and sequence.

Last year was my first year.I started out thinking 32 channels and then i came accross Georges videos with the face on the house.I ended up with 208 channels last year.I told myself i was not getting anymore controllers next year.Might be harder then quitting smoking :)

2011 will be my first year starting off with 64 maybe a ccr or 2 by lights on alto hurricane irene droped a very large oak tree on my house and auto and destroyed the front of it it slowed me down a little but still doing it

This is my first year with LOR and I jumped in at 112 channels. I got everything sequenced then my computer crashed!!!! I had backups of about 3/4 of my sequences. So I was lucky there.

But now, I'm moving sometime after the new year and will not be able to setup most of my display. I live in Upstate NY and depending on the weather, all my display stuff on the gorund will be burried until March or April.

Good side is that I'm moving to GA. No snow there! :) Plus I can pick the "perfect" house for a display next year. Still bummed about this year though.

David Rise wrote:

Wanted to also say Thank you to all the great folks here for all the good info and advice.

I totally agree! The help and advice has been very valuable. And in most cases the posts are entertaining as well :)

Last year was my first year with 48 channels and 10,000 lights. This year I sequenced for 80 channels, but with the nice prices and free shipping I ordered an extra controller. But now getting a transmitter this year may be in jeapardy, but that would be ok, I had no complaints about broadcacasting from my speakers.:P I have an open school yard across the street.

Guest Don Gillespie

in over my head no way my whole body is under water LOL, I started with 32 the first year went to 112 last year this year I am running 160 channels and next year the CCB's are going to be an added attraction to my display, the help on these forums are unbelievable, the thing that really suprises me is my light count keeps jumping by the thousands this year I will be closer to a 100,000 lights I thought about 80,000 originally but my wife keeps saying wouldn't that look great in the yard, who am I to argue. :P

Don I have the same problem as you, I am in over my head and my wife keeps holding me under. She does the same "Hon, wouldn't you like to add that to the christmas show...." "You should start a Halloween show..." Are you going to do a 4th of July show..." And by the way as if I didn't have enough channels to deal with she goes ahead and buys another 32 channels, now I have to figure out how to use them and add the channnels to at least 40 sequnces, Not that I'm complaining In fact her and the kids are the biggest driving keeping my addiction alive.

Guest Don Gillespie

Greg wrote:

Don I have the same problem as you, I am in over my head and my wife keeps holding me under. She does the same "Hon, wouldn't you like to add that to the christmas show...." "You should start a Halloween show..." Are you going to do a 4th of July show..." And by the way as if I didn't have enough channels to deal with she goes ahead and buys another 32 channels, now I have to figure out how to use them and add the channnels to at least 40 sequnces, Not that I'm complaining In fact her and the kids are the biggest driving keeping my addiction alive.

Man Greg you and I have it tough don't we LOL :P

I think "in over your head?" is how this hobby/obsession works. My first year I thought 16 channels would be enough - ended up with 48. Revamped my display in year two to add 196 channels of DIO. Year three I dropped the DIO and added another 64 channels of LOR (1 controller saved as a backup). This year I'm adding another 32 channels (ordered the controllers 9/14).

Last year I added an animated Halloween display - it was a major hit with parents & kids - we had never had so many "trick or treaters" or compliments.

I think that is the thrill of going through all of the work and expense it takes to put up a Holiday display - watching all of the kids & parents make the journey over to enjoy/watch it.