Light-O-Rama Forums

Idea for extension chords

brian.t.lowery

Just wanted to share and idea I had for dealing with extension chords in extreme climate since I haven't seen it here yet:

If you live in very cold and snowy places, instead of just running your chords in the snow, get some pvc (about 1/2" at minimum) and run your chords through that. That way when you need to dig them up at the end of the season, you'll strike against the pipe instead of the chord, keeping from running the risk of cutting it. Plus, you can just carry the pipe inside to let the cord thaw to be coiled, which will help protect from internal damage as well.

I've solved that problem entirely by not even thinking about hauling cords in until Mother Nature is through with them and they thaw. :):D:D

George Simmons wrote:

I've solved that problem entirely by not even thinking about hauling cords in until Mother Nature is through with them and they thaw. :D:D:D

Same here in NH. They'll still be there. What you don't see you don't steal!

And maybe where snow is not a problem... ppl who use SPT1 would benefit from protection from UV damage.

I don't use SPT, so I am not sure just how much havoc the sun causes on SPT insulation.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Brian, how are you doing this? Ripping a groove in the pipe?

Nope. Just using a pipe big enough to pull the chord through. But that could work as well. Either way, just remember to save yourself hours of guessing by labeling you chords first.

Arnold, That would help keep them neat and protect them slightly. If you live in an area with a little snow, or is rainy, or you just don't want a bunch of loose chords, it would be perfect. I'm more or less making a suggestion for those who live in deep snow areas like alaska and the great lakes and such where the snow tends to turn to ice around chords and you have to use and ice chipper and get them out.

Nice find though :) I might have to use that indoors

George Simmons wrote:

I've solved that problem entirely by not even thinking about hauling cords in until Mother Nature is through with them and they thaw. :):D:D

Same here. My cords are usually buried from Thanksgiving till Easter.
Back in the static days, the main power cords would actually melt the snow away and I could take them in in January, but now with the varying loads, the wires do not get hot long enough.

brian.t.lowery wrote:

Just wanted to share and idea I had for dealing with extension chords in extreme climate since I haven't seen it here yet:

If you live in very cold and snowy places, instead of just running your chords in the snow, get some pvc (about 1/2" at minimum) and run your chords through that. That way when you need to dig them up at the end of the season, you'll strike against the pipe instead of the chord, keeping from running the risk of cutting it. Plus, you can just carry the pipe inside to let the cord thaw to be coiled, which will help protect from internal damage as well.

What I want to know is how do I keep the extension chords from melting?? :D:D

Been really hot down here..

Bernie

Bernie wrote:

brian.t.lowery wrote:

What I want to know is how do I keep the extension chords from melting?? :D  :D

Been really hot down here..

Bernie

well, if you're serious, you could do the same thing. the lack of direct sunlight will help keep the heat from building up. If it's 'living on the sun' hot, you could seal the pipes with the ends of the chord sticking out and fill them with water. the h2o will help disipate the heat. just don't forget to add on a pressure releif valve so if the heat get to be too much, your pipe doesn't burst. or you could install them in the ground like i've seen some members do. about 1' down will be cool enough to keep your chords from melting.

By the way Brian, Army or Air Force?
Thanks for serving!
And thanks for bringing Christmas lights to so many that are stationed far from their homes.
My Friend's son (Air Force) is driving from Texas to you next week. Next time I talk to his parents I'll make sure to tell him to look for your lights :)