Light-O-Rama Forums

MAYDAY!!

Guest guest

Argh!!! Help anyone. A newbie speaking here. (WARNING!) I bought four CTB-16Ds and built up my own controllers. All of them powered up inside fine. All of them also powered up once I installed them in their outdoor locations. A day later as I was hooking up the CAT-5e, I noticed one controller didn't have it's happy blinking red light. I checked the power in - fine. I checked the fuses - fine. I even replaced the fuses just to make sure - same. There is a very faint smell in the box - it smells like a typical burn in on a computer... a bit like the smell of warm heat sink adhesive. There hasn't been any load connected so I don't know how or if it could overheat.

Right now I am at a loss and really concerned about being able to open my show the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Any thoughts?

Bob Densic

rdensic wrote:

Argh!!! Help anyone. A newbie speaking here. (WARNING!) I bought four CTB-16Ds and built up my own controllers. All of them powered up inside fine. All of them also powered up once I installed them in their outdoor locations. A day later as I was hooking up the CAT-5e, I noticed one controller didn't have it's happy blinking red light. I checked the power in - fine. I checked the fuses - fine. I even replaced the fuses just to make sure - same. There is a very faint smell in the box - it smells like a typical burn in on a computer... a bit like the smell of warm heat sink adhesive. There hasn't been any load connected so I don't know how or if it could overheat.

Right now I am at a loss and really concerned about being able to open my show the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Any thoughts?

Bob Densic

If you have not sent an email to LOR yet then send one to support@lightorama.com

Perform a reset of the controller ( power off, set uniit ID to 00, then power on for a few seconds )... Then power it off and set it back to the original unit ID.

Also confirm that the the problem is not a bad LED.

Bob, I'm not the expert here but had the same thing happen to one of my boards. Used the hardware utility and it found that board. Turned out to be a bad LED on the board but it works just fine. Hope it goes as easy for you.

Joe

Dan, I did the reset - no success. The unit cannot be found by the Hardware utility (the other three pop right up) so I would assume that would rule out a bad LED. Not certain... I'm just an architect. ;-)

Will do Dan. Hey everybody, is this guy amazing or what!!! If Microsoft had this type of service they'd be the largest software supplier in the world. O.K. so they are, but if they provided this good of service they would actually be liked!

Thanks Dan!!!

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I had issues with the Data connecting cables. I had purchased some long (50'+) cat5 cables. There must have been a break in the cable. My signal worked fine when the cable was rolled up in the house, but when I unrolled it outside, it did not work.

I ended up getting new cables, attaching new connectors and all seems fine (at least for Halloween)

Have you tried swapping cat-5 cables? Take a known good one and replace the current cable. Does the problem go away? If so, you have a bad cable; throw it away (immediately..otherwise it ends up in the misc cable pile, and you won't remember that it's bad). If not, continue talking to LOR support.

Hope this helps,
Sally

Yep. I tried swapping out cables. No luck there. LOR support is taking care of me. It looks like I jsut have one of those very rare bad boards. They have been fantastic at support. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!