Light-O-Rama Forums

Any advice and or recomendations.

Lee Long

Hi Guys, I am just about to embark on my journey to light o rama land and was worndering if there is any advice , recomendations or in fact pitfalls that i should be aware of. I intend to purchase a 16 channel controller very soon but which one? i.e. pc series or pro? Any hints tips etc. will be greatly appreciated especially from forum members in the uk. And i appologize in advance if the questions i ask are a bit too basic for some but i am a firm believer that the only silly question is the one that DOESN'T get asked!!

Many thanks in advance

Lee

The PC series is the best to get. If you don't mind soldering, the kits are easy to do with very good instructions. If you happen to make a mistake, LOR support is the best! Start watching for sales on extension cords. The 6-15' indoor SPT cords are very handy to have.

Welcome to the madness! :D:D

HI, I would definitely suggest the PC kits as well, I am personally not very good at soldering so waiting for the card assembled package (plug the cords in yourself, still saves some dollars) to be available again. I wish I could solder, it would be more rewarding I think, just don't have the time if I muck them up. Last year was my first year with lightorama and it was awesome... I too was trying to work out which way to head, and even though the showtime series "looked better", I am glad I went the way I did (CTB16PC). I utilised the start up package and got the full license as well.

Not sure if being in the UK would affect the decision on that model...

Welcome to the fun (well madness...) :D

Lee Long wrote:

Lots of extra extension chords; can never have enough. I think making your own is the best, use SPT-2 or SPT-1 wire with the "vampire" plugs and sockets currently at Home Depot
Good luck, and welcome
Also, download some sequences to use as a sample from :
to use as examples, or modifiy them. Sequencing, at least for me, takes the longest
Hi Guys, I am just about to embark on my journey to light o rama land and was worndering if there is any advice , recomendations or in fact pitfalls that i should be aware of. I intend to purchase a 16 channel controller very soon but which one? i.e. pc series or pro? Any hints tips etc. will be greatly appreciated especially from forum members in the uk. And i appologize in advance if the questions i ask are a bit too basic for some but i am a firm believer that the only silly question is the one that DOESN'T get asked!!

Many thanks in advance

Lee

wmilkie wrote:

Lots of extra extension chords; can never have enough. I think making your own is the best, use SPT-2 or SPT-1 wire with the "vampire" plugs and sockets currently at Home Depot

Excellent tip, many thanks ;). That hadn't even entered into my plans for getting set up but they are obviously very important.

Can't wait i am very excited (giggles like a child:P)

I just soldered my first PC kit and the controller worked beautifully. Its not that difficult once you get the hang of it. The key is to 1) take your time and 2) take your time.

marsh28 wrote:

I just soldered my first PC kit and the controller worked beautifully.  Its not that difficult once you get the hang of it.  The key is to 1) take your time and 2) take your time.

Cool! If a lawyer can do it, surely I can, too! :D :D

My brother-in-law is a lawyer, and anyone within a 5 ft radius better be wearing protective gear when he is using a screwdriver. :shock: I can't even imagine him with a soldering iron! :shock: :shock: