Light-O-Rama Forums

Wire gauge for power input

Guest guest

What size wire should I use on my deluxe board? I think I remember reading that the terminals can hold a 16 gauge wire but if I ran the board at 15 amps each side I need 14 gauge on each side? I guess its even worse if I run 20 amps per side and have to run 12??? What are you guys doing?

I use (and recommend for that matter) 12 Gauge for the power feeds. I bought some 12/3 extension cords (cheaper than the wire itself), hacked them up and put plugs on the end of them. I should be able to run the full 20 on each side without a problem...

J.

I'm using 12Ga wire on the two independent feeds.
Be careful tinning the ends of the 12Ga wire with solder. Too much solder makes if difficult getting the wires into the screw down blocks. Use just enough to keep the wire strands together.
I also have a 20 Amp GFCI breaker feeding each half of the controller.

12 guage stranded will fit fine on the CTB16 boars. I don't think it will fit in the old 8 channel boards with the blue terminal strips.

I wouldn't tin the end of the wire. You'll have problems with it becoming lose over time due to the fact the solder can very, very slowly begin to flow under pressure. It's better to twist the strand together and leave them un-tinned.