Light-O-Rama Forums

Behold the Amazing DanBurst!

George Simmons

Hi George, I think I asked you this a while back but I should have written it down. On the circle CCR are the pixels on the front of the circle as you look at it or around the outside of the circle?

If on the face as it looks, did you have any trouble bending the ribbon as it would seem to be being bent sideways?

Did you have to play with the circumference or just settle on 16 feet?

Thanks Sir

Rick

huskernut wrote:

On the circle CCR are the pixels on the front of the circle as you look at it or around the outside of the circle? They're on the front face.

If on the face as it looks, did you have any trouble bending the ribbon as it would seem to be being bent sideways? The ribbon is flexible enough that there's no stress issue with that large of a curve. I used 3/4" grey electrical pvc and I fastened the ribbon with zip ties pulled JUST snug enough to hold it in place - NOT TIGHT. Repeat: NOT TIGHT! There are little puckers and bumps but they make no difference in how it looks at night.

Did you have to play with the circumference or just settle on 16 feet? I laid out the ribbon alongside the pvc and arrived at the length that way. Then, if I remember correctly, I still had to take about two inches off.

Thanks Sir

Rick

Thanks guys for your kind words. And thanks to Dan C for letting me pirate his contraption after he came up with an idea before I did as to how to use some bulbs both he and I picked up last closeout season. Another channel moved from ready-reserve to active duty...

George Simmons wrote:

Tribute to Dan C, from whom the idea came. I mounted a DanBurst inside my circle CCR. Looks like they just might get along with each other...

http://vimeo.com/28798915

Awesome, George. I had the exact same idea, but you beat me to it. I built the whole thing this past weekend, but haven't had time to sequence it yet. I'm really glad to see what it can look like. Once again---the master prevails. Thanks for sharing.

Is the difference in brightness between the two (the CCR and the DanBurst) as significant as the video shows, or is that mostly the effect of the video? The DanBursts appeared very bright on their own, but seem a little weaker compared to the CCR. Look great/cool either way!

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Is the difference in brightness between the two (the CCR and the DanBurst) as significant as the video shows, or is that mostly the effect of the video? The DanBursts appeared very bright on their own, but seem a little weaker compared to the CCR. Look great/cool either way!

There's quite a bit of difference in brightness. The CCRs are the brightest objects in my entire display. Actually, I wish they were about 20% dimmer. The DanBurst is a pretty cool effect for only one channel, but it's pretty much a one-trick-pony.

• 1 year later...

J.J. wrote:

The answer you seek can be found by scrolling through this thread:

http://forums.lighto...um82/27267.html

dang click on link and it says not found. Always looking for a new feature for display. And if it is only 1 channel then I am on board. Thanks for posting George.

If anyone finds how to make one let me know.

That's a link to the old forum software, which no longer works.

I did a quick search and came up empty - but I believe these are a few of the "falling snow tubes" arranged in a snowflake configuration. Then they just get tied together on one channel and triggered when desired.

Pretty neat.