Light-O-Rama Forums

Driveway cable protectors

morganinaboat

Not sure if this is the best place for this question but we'll start here. Looking for ideas for effective ways to get 6 separate extension cords across a 15 ft driveway on which cars will drive through the display. Made some out of 2 x 2's and 1/2 plywood last year that held up ok but were nearly worthless at the end of the show. Trying to find alternates this year and not have to buy cable covers for $100 / foot to get what i need. Ideas? Pics?

morganinaboat wrote:

Not sure if this is the best place for this question but we'll start here. Looking for ideas for effective ways to get 6 separate extension cords across a 15 ft driveway on which cars will drive through the display. Made some out of 2 x 2's and 1/2 plywood last year that held up ok but were nearly worthless at the end of the show. Trying to find alternates this year and not have to buy cable covers for $100 / foot to get what i need. Ideas? Pics?

Depending on your type of soil, it is possible to tunnel under your driveway yourself, using SCH40 PVC and water pressure. I have done it in our soil, but it could be difficult if it is rocky. There are companies that will drill under the driveway and then pull a pipe that could be used as a conduit. I would probably spend the money and/or time to do this once, rather than trying to find a way to hide the cords every year.

I ran my cords into the garage and then up the wall and over the garage door opening, and back down to the ground and back outside. Used a staple gun to place large staples that I then zip tied the cords to. At the end of the display season, I just roll up the outdoor portions of the cords and store them just in the door along the walls. Kinda a pain to do the first time, but it is only a one time job. Run 1-2 cat5 cables along with it too.

bdeditch wrote:

Ramps

Many choices here

Like bdeditch said discount ramps.. I ordered this one 2 years ago so I could run my cords over my walkway, and not go over head with them anymore. this one is the 99.00 one.

Steve Lelinski uses the same ramps across his driveway, and have been wife tested..

Attached files 262647=14547-DSC00927.JPG

bdeditch wrote:

Ramps

Many choices here

The 5 channel cable ramps are an entertainment industry standard. You might also try calling a local entertainment rental house to see if they have any used pieces they might be willing to sell.

morganinaboat wrote:

Looking for ideas for effective ways to get 6 separate extension cords across a 15 ft driveway

If power is available on the other side, how about another controller and a pair of ELL's?

mcnamara9 wrote:

Leaping arches.... I run power and CAT5 inside my PVC to get from one side of the driveway to the other.

That's creative a solution.