Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC Stars

captainron19

Anyone ever make 5-point stars from PVC tubing and connectors? I searched online and all I could fine was one article where someone said to use "Equal length pieces of pvc along with both 45 degree and 90 degree connectors"

I too was wanting to make it out of PVC and was just sitting here trying to figure out how to do it.. but it seems impossible since the angles of a 5 pointed star do not equal 45 or 90 degrees anywhere?

Attached files 262332=14537-angles_of_pentagram.gif

We all know that if you try to get your arch too small that PVC will fold instead of bend, so why not take advantage of that?

Give it some help by cutting a small chunk out of (or maybe even a simple cut 1/2 way through)the inside of the points to help it fold at the right location. Then all you need to do is join the two ends.

If you can carefully cut a notch at the point that you want it to bend, and then heat it I think it could be done. Using some PVC glue should hold it.

Well I found a PVC one in this thread and also in the thread towards the bottom there is one making one out of wooden dowels

captainron19 wrote:

Well I found a PVC one in this thread and also in the thread towards the bottom there is one making one out of wooden dowels

did you forget to put the link to the thread? :D

I actually think I like that dowel version.... I was a bit turned off on it at first but after the rope light is on it looks pretty sturdy. He used 5/16 dowels but I might go a little bit thicker.

Here is the video

captainron19 wrote:

I like the PVC one...but for durability, I think I would go with steel rod rather than the dowels and duct tape...may not last too long out in the weather...

plus I was wanting to make one of those tri-stars, where it is a star within a star within a star...

will keep looking...

If you guys really want to use PVC why not just use a blow torch, or even your oven to melt the PVC at the sections you want to bend. PVC becomes very plyable once it is hot. Than, bend it into the shape and when it hardens again it will be permantely in that position.

I believe that Tim Fischer used this method to make his candy canes. There is a how-to floating around somewhere...I am just not sure where.

jimswinder wrote:

captainron19 wrote:
I like the PVC one...but for durability, I think I would go with steel rod rather than the dowels and duct tape...may not last too long out in the weather...

plus I was wanting to make one of those tri-stars, where it is a star within a star within a star...

will keep looking...

How big of one were you looking for?

jimswinder wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
How big of one were you looking for?

I was looking for one about 28" (for the biggest star)...

don't know what captainron19 was looking for...

I build them, but the shipping cost can be prier if you want them in one solid piece, I can make them so they come apart and lay flat.

How about using the plastic garden stakes. I use them a lot and to join them all you need is some plastic or rubber hose. It last years and if you dont want it any more cut the hose off and you still have the stakes.

Where the stakes intersect use tie wraps to help hold it together.

Anthony

Do you have a table saw or jig that will let you cut on an exact angle of your choosing?

If yes, consider this:
Select a different size pipe (other than your "sticks") that is _EITHER_ a size large enough that its I.D. will fit over your stick's O.D. _OR_ do the opposite, select a size pipe that is small enough that is O.D. will fit inside your stick's I.D.

look about a quarter page down at this URL:
http://www.hyperflight.com/pentagon-construct.htm
The inside angle is 36 degrees, and the outside angle is 108 degrees.

Another angle to consider is: 72+108+72 = 252 degrees (or 360-108=252).

Cut your inside/outside pipe 6-ish inches long, then cut to the angles shown above, and glue two of each together. This will provide a "union" or junction to assemble (and dis-assemble) any larger star pattern you may create.

Keep in mind, this is all conjecture on my part, I haven't actually DONE most of the above.

First off you can cut anything past 180 degrees (Straight Line) What you have to do to make 2 things match up to, say 72 degrees, is cut each piece ( 2 of them)at 36 degrees. I use octagon shapes for building trees for people. so that is 8 sides X 22-1/2 degree cut on each piece = 180 degrees

Cat Herder wrote:

Do you have a table saw or jig that will let you cut on an exact angle of your choosing?

If yes, consider this:
Select a different size pipe (other than your "sticks") that is _EITHER_ a size large enough that its I.D. will fit over your stick's O.D. _OR_ do the opposite, select a size pipe that is small enough that is O.D. will fit inside your stick's I.D.

look about a quarter page down at this URL:
   http://www.hyperflight.com/pentagon-construct.htm
The inside angle is 36 degrees, and the outside angle is 108 degrees.

Another angle to consider is: 72+108+72 = 252 degrees (or 360-108=252).

Cut your inside/outside pipe 6-ish inches long, then cut to the angles shown above, and glue two of each together.  This will provide a "union" or junction to assemble (and dis-assemble) any larger star pattern you may create. 

Keep in mind, this is all conjecture on my part, I haven't actually DONE most of the above.