Light-O-Rama Forums

light checker thingy

Guest guest

I know I saw it in a thread but can't remember where I saw it or what it's called. It looked kind of like a grill lighter, but you put the plug in one spot and it would light the string or make a noise to tell you what was wrong.

What is it called?

Thanks,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I just used the Light Keeper Pro, What an awesome tool!!! Fixed our light tree inside then went outside and fixed our ginger bread train. Well worth the $16 bucks paid. I would recommend this to anyone.

I hate to be the Grinch here but I bought one Friday night to help with a couple of strands from last year. I had high hopes but alas it did not work. I tried on 3 different strands and clicked up to the 20 times it said, moved to the beeper method (duh, it told me the first light was out), finally ended up just testing each of the lights - they all lit up. When I put the last light back in, everything lit up.

I have the receipt and will be taking it back unless someone can tell me that old strands (5-10 years) won't work.

rns

jeff wrote:

How does it fix a defective shunt by sending a pulse through the wire? Sounds bogus to me.

Yes, exactly... That's how it fixes shunts... You're supposed to do it plugged in, but it really works well...

I bought one as well and it didn't fix one of my problems. However, I finally figured out my problem was that one of the wires on one of the bulbs had corroded and had completely broken off. However, it did work in several other cases.

I have fixed several strands with the light keeper pro. I had 3 strings out today and I fixed them 30 mins before the show with this device. There was one string that was not being fixed by it, but I looked real close at the bulbs and as I pulled the trigger, the bad bulb would spark across the shunt (It has to be dark to see this). I replaced this bulb and it went on.

I have said it once and I will say it again. I love this thing! It has fixed many strings in my display that have gone out the past week.

-Richard

jeff wrote:

How does it fix a defective shunt by sending a pulse through the wire? Sounds bogus to me.

And I'll ask again. How does it fix a defective shunt by sending a pulse through the wire?

Charges capacitor thru a trans, then when you push the button it discharges a high voltage spark which bridges the gap.

Like a portable one that I use all the time that runs on ac.

Really neat to watch in the dark.

RZ Hill

RHill wrote:

Charges capacitor thru a trans, then when you push the button it discharges a high voltage spark which bridges the gap.

Like a portable one that I use all the time that runs on ac.

Really neat to watch in the dark.

RZ Hill

I have a neon sigh transformer that is limited to 15ma and should work for this.

BTW, 15ma at 15000 volts can kill so if anyone tries this be sure to take steps to not get shocked yourself..