Light-O-Rama Forums

May Not Be Needing Any Controllers This Year

jim6918

First indication of any neighbor complaints came late last week. I live in a pretty congested typical residential neighborhood; houses with 60' lot width. Most neighbors love the show and many go out of their way to park all their cars in their driveways to give more room on the street. Because of two large evergreen trees on the east side of my property, the best viewing angle is either directly in front of my house (room for 3 cars) directly across the street, or up to about a 1/2 block to the west. My neighbor to the west just hauled two junk cars out of his driveway, where they have been for years, and parked them in front of his house, right up to our property line. This spot was the absolutely ideal spot to watch the show, or "stage" to pull up in front of my house. He is the ONLY neighbor to express any concerns about cars temporarily blocking his driveway during the past seasons.

Even my wife, who thinks that I am "Mister Doom" about everything thinks the neighbor is sending a message. Unless he moves those vehicles before lights on, my show parking is going to be a problem.

I haven't talked to him yet, but unless they are gone by the middle of November I am going to have to say something.

If he doesn't move them, I will be tempted to leave the show off, except for my "Tune To" sign and run a continual announcement saying "If you have any questions why the show isn't running this year, Call Mr. Smith at 719-XXX_XXXX."

Damn Grinch.

Attached files 262217=14531-rsz_img_2376.jpg

There isn't much you can do here that's not going to come back to haunt you. (At least that's my opinion.) If I remember the laws in our city prevent a vehicle from being 'stored' on the street. As in it's okay to park there overnight, even for a day or two. But at some point it's considered 'storing' the vehicle. You might see if your city has something like that one the books.

In your voice-overs about all you can do is remind people that the city allows for parking on the street, and that "We regret the inconvenience to our visitors."

Don wrote:

There isn't much you can do here that's not going to come back to haunt you. (At least that's my opinion.) If I remember the laws in our city prevent a vehicle from being 'stored' on the street. As in it's okay to park there overnight, even for a day or two. But at some point it's considered 'storing' the vehicle. You might see if your city has something like that one the books.

In your voice-overs about all you can do is remind people that the city allows for parking on the street, and that "We regret the inconvenience to our visitors."

I know, makes me feel better to blow off some steam. There is a 72 hour ordinance, but all he needs to do to be in compliance is rotate the vehicles in place. That would constitute the "moving" part.

I guess it was bound to happen. My show gets more and more popular each year.

One more suggestion on codes- are his plates up to date? In some states that's a quick way to get them towed off instead of even being ticketed...

Hilliard Lights wrote:

One more suggestion on codes- are his plates up to date? In some states that's a quick way to get them towed off instead of even being ticketed...

Same in AZ, they must have current registration/tags and insurance.

Hilliard Lights wrote:

Also a great idea. I bet they are because he drives them a couple of times a year. Funny thing is that he has old Christmas decorations stored in the back of the van.

Guest Don Gillespie

only my 2 cents, but sugar goes a lot farther than vinager, instead of checking his plates and talking to the city, how about talking to your neighbor maybe get him involved some how, problem solved, if talking to him does not help then go the other routes, but the first thing I would do is get to know him, all my neighbors already know I am going big this year, just bought more lights taking my total to 100,000 this year there is not a single neighbor that complains, I also invite all my neighbors over for a Barbque, nothing fancy hotdogs and burgers and tell them my plans and ask them for ideas this is a good way to get them involved and free up parking spaces for when you light up. good luck keep us posted it would be a crying shame if you couldn't have a show this year.

Don Gillespie wrote:

only my 2 cents, but sugar goes a lot farther than vinager, instead of checking his plates and talking to the city, how about talking to your neighbor maybe get him involved some how, problem solved, if talking to him does not help then go the other routes, but the first thing I would do is get to know him, all my neighbors already know I am going big this year, just bought more lights taking my total to 100,000 this year there is not a single neighbor that complains, I also invite all my neighbors over for a Barbque, nothing fancy hotdogs and burgers and tell them my plans and ask them for ideas this is a good way to get them involved and free up parking spaces for when you light up. good luck keep us posted it would be a crying shame if you couldn't have a show this year.

Trying to keep the post short I neglected some background. We have been neighbors for nearly 20 years and always on great terms. We attend the same church and look after each others houses when out of town. On the bad side, he can be really grouchy and vindictive, retiring as a prison guard. He has never had a good thing to say about the lights, and made it a point to tell me that he didn't care for "Christmas music set to jazz." Further, he told me last year that he didn't like people blocking his driveway and described several instances when he either couldnt get out or pull in his driveway.

I hope I am just worried about nothing.

On the positive side, the way things are going, I might be able to make scalpers prices on the controllers. Just kidding.

Guest Don Gillespie

jim6918 wrote:

Further, he told me last year that he didn't like people blocking his driveway and described several instances when he either couldnt get out or pull in his driveway.

Jim some of the things I do for my neighbors is I make some signs and post them by my neighbors driveways that say do not block the driveway

like i said ask him some questions get him interested he might come around any one who has been freinds for over 20 years should understand

Along with talking to him, how about asking what a couple of his favorite Christmas songs are, and sequencing them?

I really like the idea of telling him you will make signs for his driveway, that was a great suggestion.

He might just get into it a bit more if there is something that interests him.

just a thought :P

Does he move these cars on a regular basis?

Here in Seattle, if a car has not moved in 7 days, you can call in and they come out and chalk a tire and put a sticker on it saying if it is not moved in the next couple of days it will be towed...

I like the idea of sequencing a couple of his favorite Christmas songs. Let him know you want to do that because he is your friend and you value his opinion. If you go to the same Church, you better do everything you can to minimize his inconvenience.

CKSedg wrote:

I like the idea of sequencing a couple of his favorite Christmas songs.  Let him know you want to do that because he is your friend and you value his opinion.  If you go to the same Church, you better do everything you can to minimize his inconvenience.

He's very "crotchity" He already told me that he doesn't like most of the music, which is pretty "main-stream" by sequencing standards. Like I said earlier he complained to me already about "Linus and Lucy" saying he doesn't think Christmas music should be Jazzy. I would be reduced to sequencing a traditional Silent Night or Ave Maria, in which case I would have to concern myself with a divorce lawyer as opposed to a cranky neighbor.

I do like the idea of signs for either side of his driveway. I am going to approach my this weekend.

Man that's rough! Sorry to see that. I have neighbors just like it, they have like 14 kids each with their own car. It's a nightmare!! Luckily mine are a few houses down and the rest of the neighbors actually use their garages to store their cars! :]

After looking at the pictures I would complain to the city that I can not see getting out of my drive way. Most cities will not let you park that close to drice way...

I kind of know how you are feeling about your neighbor. This will be our second christmas in our house. Our neighbor is a single father that has four kids, two can drive. He has five cars. Two in the driveway,(Which holds four cars) and the other three out in the street. Ususally two of them are always parked in front of our house, and one of the cars leaks oil. I have talked to the neighbors several times about this with no resolve. I have complained to the Home Owners Association, but they say that they cannot do anything because the streets are public access, not not property of the homeowner. Finally my wife went ape SH&T on two of the kids that park there, and now usually just one parks in front of the house. Frustrating that some neighbors have no respect for their neighbors.