Light-O-Rama Forums

No Audio

Guest guest

I finally ironed out all my self-created problems/learning curve with LOR as far as controlling the lights. Hardware utility has found all the controllers and everything is working as advertised. Today, I decided to hook up a couple speakers in the yard. I purchased the Dual outdoor speakers suggested in another thread and hooked them up to an old Pioneer receiver. Rather than using the FM25B transmitter tonight, thought I would just use the outside speakers while I ran around and adjusted lights, etc. However, after a few seconds, everything went silent. I am wondering if I did something to the sound card in my computer by going directly from the PC to the receiver. I plugged the 8mm mini plug from the computer headphone jack to the CD input on the receiver. I disconnected the receiver and connected the FM transmitter back up, nothing. I don't get any audio from the computer speakers either. Do you think I burned up my PC sound card?

Connecting the receiver to the PC like that shouldn't hurt anything. That being said, I really don't have any idea what could be causing your problem. You might try going into the control panel on your PC and checking the sound properties. If you're using XP, go to Start, Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices. Click on the "Sounds" tab, then in the box that says "program events:", click on anything that has a speaker icon by it. Then click on the play button (little button that has a little triangle in it). If you get a sound, then your sound card is OK. Hope this helps.

I think it must have been the gremlins again. I shut the computer off while I tried to think what happened and what to do next. When I rebooted the computer to troubleshoot, LOR started automatically and I had audio again. I don't know what caused it, other than gremlins, because I had no audio at all on any program. But it worked fine when I rebooted. Hopefully, the problem won't happen again.

Denny