Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi Channel drop cords

Troy_Connor

I would like to get others input on multi channel drop cords. I am starting to make these things and was curious if others would be interested.

Also anyone in need of signs for their displays? We make them too. Send request to stellasdesigns@bellsouth.net and we will happy to assist you with that.

I did the same with my mini-trees last year, and already, layout has changed this year. Its easy and convenient, saves a ton of wire, but locked in stone. I'm thinking I may be able to reuse 20% of it at best this year...and the rest is a supply of random length precut pieces of SPT..

I have not made any yet, but here is the idea. I have access to 4,5,and 7 conductor 16 guage cable. Tha only rub is it comes in 1000' spools. With this you can 3,4, or 6 channels. For the cost of the wire I would go with the 7 conductor even if you only wanted 4 channels at this time. The cable is encased in a single black jacked, with each inner conductor jacked in different color codes. Hopefully this will help. If you are interested in purchasing some cable help spread the word and it will be more affordable for everyone. Aprox. cost per foot of cable is $2.75

So your idea is female ends on one end, and either bare ends (for controllers with screw terminals) or quick-connects on the other?

What are you thinking of using for female ends? Normal SPT type, or something else? If you haven't confirmed you can do normal SPT femal ends, that makes it even more expensive, and a one-off from what most people use...

Or are you really just looking to do a group buy on the cable?

If enough people are interested we can do a group buy on the cable. As for the type of ends that can really vary. I would use a standard duplex outlet and break out the tab to make it two circuits. Either way one wants to do it is fine. As of now I am just thinking of running this cable to the roof and certian areas. What I have found is traffic signal cable. Being that is the field I am in. Other people may have access to something better, or more cost effective. Still waiting on feedback from others to see how to proceed.

A shared common has to be able to handle the load of the all of the individual channels combined. For example with a 4 wire cord three hots sharing one common 16ga. The common can carry 12 amps so you can only have 12 amps combined at any time on the hots.

Instead of making bundling cords, just make wye adapters on each end of and extention cord using the same principle. This will still allow you to eliminate half and allow for changes in your display from year to year. I have done this with my display for years now. As someone stated, polorized plugs are a must to keep from shorting things out and keep them out of the general use area where someone not familiar with what it is borrows it.

Follow the link and use the appropriate male or female plug instead of hard wiring to the extention cord.

http://www.lightup.ca/faqs/how-to/55-save-money-modify-your-extension-cords

And of course use at your own risk.

Brian