Light-O-Rama Forums

How Difficult is Soldering the PC Kits

marsh28

Let me start by saying I have NO soldering experience but DO have a father-in-law who is in the computer business and is fairly tech savvy. As it stands right now, the only controller available is the PC kit that requires soldering. I want to do a Halloween show and want to use 2 controllers. Could I figure out how to assemble the PC soldering kits or would I be WAY over my head?

Thanks alot

I would say download the assembly manual, read it over and then decide... This manual is so straight forward!! I had done very minimal soldering and ordered this kit by accident. Needless to say with a little help from a coworker and 4 hours of melting solder I had myself a beautiful 16 channel controller... ahhhh seems like only yesterday! :P
I am in need of 3 more myself and I'm holding out and hopefully waiting for the sale...

Personally, the two most important items with the solder together kits are:
1) Attention to detail. There are some similar parts that you have to make sure you have the right ones in one place. Most of the parts have to be oriented correctly. And you need to be sure you have all the pins soldered. There are so many that it is easy to miss one.

2) Be sure you always heat up both sides of the connection to where the solder will melt on both sides. Never apply the solder to the iron to melt it. Usually, if you do that, one of the parts being soldered is not actually warm enough, and instead of connecting to that part, the solder creates a shell over the part.

I would almost suggest finding a basic solder together electronics kit to assemble, and see how it goes, but I would say that I have never seen one with a manual as good as the LOR assembly manual.

I had never soldered a board together of any kind but am fairly handy. I ordered one complete board (as a model/tmeplate) and two complete kits. I was able to solder the kit together but had a couple of problems and found out I had a couple of bad components. For me it was worth the $15-20 extra to buy the board assembled and just assemble the rest of the kit. If you want to save every last dollar then get the kit. It's not that hard.
Jeff

One more thing. There was some personal satisfaction completing the working board. I didn't have the tools so I had to purchase them so I didn't save that much. I now have 17 controllers though so the savings can add up...

marsh28 wrote:

Let me start by saying I have NO soldering experience but DO have a father-in-law who is in the computer business and is fairly tech savvy. As it stands right now, the only controller available is the PC kit that requires soldering. I want to do a Halloween show and want to use 2 controllers. Could I figure out how to assemble the PC soldering kits or would I be WAY over my head?

Thanks alot

Marsh, I taught soldering class at the Lighting Mini in Olympia WA in 2010 and I was pleased at the folks that picked right up on the basics. What I want to do is encourage you to give it a try. If you want to test your yet found talents, you could purchase some trial kits like this one http://www.gssteched.com/9921.html for a few bucks and see how you do. Once complete with that you can test your skills on a LOR board. Dan Baldwin has assembled a kit that is user friendly, with good assembly instructions, and will give you a lot of satisfaction once assembled. If this troubles you, no problem, there are quite a few of us old hands around town that are happy to melt some solder to a board. Here is a site that has soldering how to http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_to_Solder. Feel free to contact me here if you have questions. Been soldering since I was 9 or 10. Thats 45 years of smoke in the eyes... LOL - and I love it !

Funny thing, I was just outside looking at my controlers, I need one more for this years show, so I need to spend an evening soldering one up. I have assembled about 3 dozen of these kits for myslef and friends. No failures.

Happy Trails -

Papa-LF wrote:

marsh28 wrote:

Thanks alot

Marsh, I taught soldering class at the Lighting Mini in Olympia WA in 2010 and I was pleased at the folks that picked right up on the basics. What I want to do is encourage you to give it a try. If you want to test your yet found talents, you could purchase some trial kits like this one http://www.gssteched.com/9921.html for a few bucks and see how you do. Once complete with that you can test your skills on a LOR board. Dan Baldwin has assembled a kit that is user friendly, with good assembly instructions, and will give you a lot of satisfaction once assembled. If this troubles you, no problem, there are quite a few of us old hands around town that are happy to melt some solder to a board. Here is a site that has soldering how to http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_to_Solder. Feel free to contact me here if you have questions. Been soldering since I was 9 or 10. Thats 45 years of smoke in the eyes... LOL - and I love it !

Funny thing, I was just outside looking at my controlers, I need one more for this years show, so I need to spend an evening soldering one up. I have assembled about 3 dozen of these kits for myslef and friends. No failures.

Happy Trails -

There are many of us "tech savy" on these forums. This is my first year with LOR, second using an animated display.....last year Ahhgh! dont want to talk about it major dissapointment....Decided to do it right this year. I ordered 3 DIY kits and am still waiting for them to arrive. If you would like Marsh PM me and we can discuss some arrangements that I will solder your boards for you.

I had never soldered before either and I ordered and soldered 33 of the kits last year...

I only had 3 or 4 that did not completely work on first try...the others just had places that I had missed soldering.

The first ones probably took me a few hours to do, but by the end, I was doing them in less than 45 minutes...

marsh28 wrote:

Well...I just did it and purchased the PC kit. Please expect about 150 posts in the upcoming weeks....:(

much better...a smiling face!!!

welcome to the insanity we all love... :?

jimswinder wrote:

marsh28 wrote:
Well...I just did it and purchased the PC kit. Please expect about 150 posts in the upcoming weeks....:(

I reviewed the instructions on LOR's website last night and they really don't appear all that difficult. Also, I have the luck of having a father-in-law who is willing to lend me some help. So I guess I FINALLY realized one advantage to getting married...

marsh28 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
marsh28 wrote:

I reviewed the instructions on LOR's website last night and they really don't appear all that difficult. Also, I have the luck of having a father-in-law who is willing to lend me some help. So I guess I FINALLY realized one advantage to getting married...

I figured you would find a solution...so I sent out the SPT wire yesterday... :D

marsh28 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
marsh28 wrote:

Hmmmm so there is ONE reason??? Ill write that one down...

Arnoldc wrote:

you needed more than one for this lovely lady??

jimswinder wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:

you needed more than one for this lovely lady??

This????? you're a lady?!?!?!? Lori must be stunned now!:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

soldering is not hard, the only way to learn is to do it. i soldered my 16 channel last year and i absolutely love doing it. took me a few hours, just take your time, make sure you have the correct resistors in the correct place, and make sure your diodes are oriented correctly. also make sure your soldering iron is not to weak or to powerful. if it is too weak you will be there forever trying to solder the spade connectors on and if it is too powerful you risk melting the boards and or lifting the "lands". either way give it a try

In talking to Dan at the Decore Expo, he said even the PC kits were going to be mostly surface mount parts from now on - there will still be some soldering, but much less than previous kits.

Lugs and Triacs. I dono if those are the kits shipping now, but if they are, most of the work is done.

marsh28 wrote:

Well...I just did it and purchased the PC kit. Please expect about 150 posts in the upcoming weeks....:D

Great Deal Marsh!

We look forward to another happy camper ! :D And as everybody has mentioned - when you have questions - please ask away ! The only bad question is the one that is not asked.