Light-O-Rama Forums

Zip Ties

George Simmons

Let's hear it for Zip Ties! Whatever did we do before these snazzy little numbers were invented? Is there anyone among us who doean't use them, and if so, I'm curious what would you possibly use in their place?

I just finished a project where I went through about 800 of them. As I was sweeping the cut-offs together and then replenishing my bins with a couple thousand new ones I bought just today, I got to thinking about how many I actually go through in a given year. Geez - it's a pretty high number - I'm glad they're as cheap as they are.

Much better than bailing wire! I picked up 3,500 of them a few weeks ago and I'm thinking I should have bought twice as many while they were on sale at Harbor Freight.

George, years ago I used twisty-ties. You can buy them in rolls and cut off whatever you need. It worked fine, but my poor little fingers were bloody stumps by the time I got all the display up. Like you, I'm very glad for zip ties now---with a gun to save the fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one element at home, a 5 foot star, with 1,200 wire ties on it. And the one for the city that is 6 ft has 1,600 wire ties. It depends on the year, but one year we ordered 24,000. I can't immagine doing it any other way. Now part of this is due to use outside, and getting them dirty, but we have worn out a fair number of the cheap Uline wire tie guns...

james campbell wrote:

the space shuttle is made of duck tape and zip ties

Don't forget the USED chewing gum that holds the tiles on.:)

I use the heck out of zip-ties also, I also use a zip-tie gun, previous to the gun my forefinger used to get bloody and raw.:(

kzaas wrote:

james campbell wrote:
the space shuttle is made of duck tape and zip ties

Don't forget the USED chewing gum that holds the tiles on.:)

I use the heck out of zip-ties also, I also use a zip-tie gun, previous to the gun my forefinger used to get bloody and raw.:(

The standards for space shuttle repair just aren't what they were a few months ago...

I bought 10,000 zip ties in the spring to get ready for making Christmas decorations.... a couple weeks ago I had to break down and order another 10,000. the second time around I went with cheaper ones... I hope they don't start breaking in the cold.

I just started building my first big display and I've already used about 400 of these bad boys....and i've just started! I'm guessing around 4000 total for this year. If I had to do that with string or bailing wire I don't even know if I'd be doing this. HOORAY FOR ZIP TIES!!!

.....and when you need to remove zip ties, here's a cool tool.
Been using on for two years, cost $14.00. Have never nicked a wire either.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zip+tie+cutter&hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&prmd=ivns&biw=768&bih=495&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=485449007757661880&sa=X&ei=fSZ-TqjOGIvAtgfqhIBT&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBQ

Zip Ties - Duct Tape. They're both the same. I just fixed my band on my hard hard with zippies. $55 for a new logging hard hat, but a few pennies and four 4" ties fixed it for another season!