Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone have experience with velcro?

ace_master

I'm going to be putting up some velcro for part of the lighting on the eves-trough this year. My roadblock is... Do I put the hook (rough) side on the house permanently, or do I put the loop (soft) side on the house permanently?

I figure that the soft side on the house would collect less debris and bugs in the summer months... but not too sure how happy I am about using the rough side on the lights I have to take down and handle afterwords (kinda worried about it rubbing against everything in storage kind of like a scouring pad).

Anyone have experience with using Velcro outdoors, hook vs loop?

To anyone who may be looking at using Velcro at some point...

After a little more research online, I found that people have a terrible time cleaning the rough side of the velcro after being left to collect debris outdoors (some resulting in having to use toothbrushes and safety pins to keep the Velcro up to par)... but after the soft side has collected the same debris, you can just run a hand held vacuum over it and it will collect virtually everything off of it...

...So I've decided to use the soft side on the house and will just pay attention to store delicate display items in a way that nothing gets scratched up or tangled in the rough side of the Velcro (small garbage bags between layers of lights in a storage bin works wonders).

(And don't forget... you must use outdoor rated Velcro on a clean surface or the weather will destroy it.)

It's ok to talk to yourself. It's even ok to answer yourself. When you really need to worry is when you start saying "Huh? What did you say?"