Light-O-Rama Forums

Always on items

frosted1

I'm looking for opinions/advice on items that don't need to be controlled by LOR controllers. For example the "listen to the lights" sign. Do you plug these into a controller anyway or just put it on a timer or...?
Would CCRs also be on a similar setup or do you plug them in to a controller? I haven't ordered anything yet and this will be my first year to use LOR and a CCR so this is probably a very basic question but you all seem to have a wide variety of solutions and suggestions so I figured I should ask before I make plans. Thanks in advance for your help.

I plug my "Tune to" signs into a controller because I want to dim them during the show, and then have them bright between songs.

Personally I use timers and they work very well for me because I leave them lit all evening.

CCRs come with their own controller that you daisy chain with Cat5 to any other controllers you might have. Please wait until I've ordered mine before you place your order. Thanks. :P:D:D

Thanks guys. George, just so I'm clear, the controller for the CCR will need to be plugged in, right? If that's correct, do you just plug them in to the same power source you use for all the "regular" controllers?

Ps. I'll hold off as long as I can :P

Hi frosted1,

I can't answer your questions on CCR's etc, but can let you know what I do for my other items not used with LOR.

Before last year (first LOR Season), my lights were designed around a static display I had done for years... When I incorporated LOR I was "channel hungry", and now even more so :P. So my personal rule is if it isn't blinking to music, it goes on it's own circuit with a timer. I use a lot of inflatables etc as well so generally I setup and pull down my display each night so vandals don't get free reign. If I happen not to be there, the show still goes on, with the static parts on the timer as well, and LOR on the PC with show enabled, just no inflatables.
Last Year I also ended up combining some items together on one channel, instead of a couple, so ended up with a "spare channel". I ended up connecting the tune to sign so it to was "part of the show", this actually helped make peole read the sign, as it was at the front by itself, it stood out more...

Hope that helps, good luck :)

Thanks Trebs, that does help. Your thought process is what got me thinking about my original question. I figure the lights I don't "need" to plug in to a controller will be separate, leaving more channels for sequencing options.

frosted1 wrote:

George, just so I'm clear, the controller for the CCR will need to be plugged in, right? If that's correct, do you just plug them in to the same power source you use for all the "regular" controllers?

The CCR ribbon plugs into the controller, which plugs into the power transformer, which plugs into a standard-type wall outlet/extension cord. No special electrons are needed - the ones you get from your local power company will work just fine. :P

For each side of my yard I have a channel for always on, which is used for the inflatables and floods that I have on the house.

I also have a channel that powers my tune to sign and the radio.

I do this because I end the sequenced show at 9PM on school nights, but I keep the lights on as a static display until 10PM. Having the control over the radio is nice for this.

I could put them on timers, but I did a static display with timers for years and found that the timers 'drift' over time and had to be adjusted every few days. Not to say I would never go back to them, but I don't use them if I don't have to.

My first souple years I used timers for my sign, and blowups... I have since switched over to using LOR channels, I like the control I have over the items now.

I use a lot of x10s for the always on stuff - motorized deer, blowups, etc. I use two channels for my signs, one for the tune to that is stretched between the trees and one for the sign itself. I only run the shows Thurs-Sun, hence the two channels. If i run out I can always us x10s or timers.

CKSedg wrote:

I plug my "Tune to" signs into a controller because I want to dim them during the show, and then have them bright between songs.

During my dance tune sequences, my "Tune to" sign pulses to the beat.

on my static elements I have a remote relay from wall mart. all I have to do is point in out the window press a button and the light come on. I don't know the power it can handle but I think if you have more than one the one transmitter will work all the receivers

Hi Frosted, welcome to the insanity.
I have a lot of blow molds and inflatables that I use for my static display in-between songs. I picked up some 20 amp optical relays on eBay and use one LOR channel to turn them all on and off.
For the tune to sign, I have a home depot outdoor timer.