Light-O-Rama Forums

Seeking advice for displays in colder climates

FrozeninAK

I am just starting and haven't purchased anything yet. I have been reading tons of discussions in the forums and trying to wrap my head around all the electrical information. I am planning on starting small this year build a few displays to test, get a feel for the software and then buy a bunch of lights/supplies after Christmas - on sale. I am looking for advice on what I need to know when doing displays in cold climates/heavy snowfall. (I live in Alaska and our winters are LONG and DARK!) I do know I am going to go the LED route, run my system off of a PC, and having the ability to expand is very important.

Here are a few of my current questions

1. Should I go with the Pro Commercial Light Controllers because of the cold. I read the comparison of the features but don't know what most of it means :P
2. Anyone have experience with materials becoming fragile in the cold (ie suggestions of what to avoid). Any tips or tricks?
3. How do people deal with snow falling on their displays?

Any suggestions for a starter setup (I might try 32 channels to start) welcome!

Welcome!

1) There is no difference between the two grades of controllers as far as lighting effects go. It's more a matter of regular vs heavy duty. With LEDs you don't require anything above the PC model. Cold shouldn't be much of an issue with either.

2) Every kind of wiring in a display (except possibly heavy duty outdoor extension cords) becomes too fragile to bend very much when it gets below zero. My advice would be to get everything in place before it gets that cold and then leave it there until it thaws.

3) When it snows I stand outside and wave my arms like a crazy person.

I have read people on her mentioning they use their controllers (either type) in 20 below temps. I thought there was even a comment by Dan before on this, and seem to remember that he mentioned they are good to go at temps even below that. I have have had controllers buried in snow. The colder the better since the snow will be "drier".

For display items, I have had success with using a leaf blower to remove some snow off the tops of display items. The neighbors already know I am nuts, so who cares about using the leaf blower in the snow in December!

George Simmons wrote:

Welcome!
3) When it snows I stand outside and wave my arms like a crazy person.

George, I have a visual image of that in my mind, even without having a visualizer handy.... ;):D:D:D

Greg

My comments are the same as George's.

I have on additional one - when it comes to snow (we don't get into the negative F temps like others do), I plan for that in advance, by designing the display elements to be located above the (worst case) snowfall levels.

I use 16 Bethlehem stars mounted on 4 ft rebar driven into the ground, so they are about 2.5 ft above ground level, instead of using minitrees that would otherwide be pretty well buried.

I have no grids on the roof, or ground, based on the snowfalls we see.

Greg

Guest wbottomley

FrozeninAK wrote:

I am just starting and haven't purchased anything yet. I have been reading tons of discussions in the forums and trying to wrap my head around all the electrical information. I am planning on starting small this year build a few displays to test, get a feel for the software and then buy a bunch of lights/supplies after Christmas - on sale. I am looking for advice on what I need to know when doing displays in cold climates/heavy snowfall. (I live in Alaska and our winters are LONG and DARK!) I do know I am going to go the LED route, run my system off of a PC, and having the ability to expand is very important.

1. Should I go with the Pro Commercial Light Controllers because of the cold. I read the comparison of the features but don't know what most of it means :D
2. Anyone have experience with materials becoming fragile in the cold (ie suggestions of what to avoid). Any tips or tricks?

Run natural gas lines to all controllers. Then, have the auto igniter start the flame. Don't get them too hot or the electronics will melt (anything above 33F). ;)

Guest Don Gillespie

FrozeninAK wrote:

1. Should I go with the Pro Commercial Light Controllers because of the cold. I read the comparison of the features but don't know what most of it means :)

I live in canada your nearest nieghbor it can get as cold here as Alaska but not as last as long, I have both contollers and both work well in the cold -45 no issues as for display items we get a boat load of snow however I would tend to think you get more, for some of my smaller yard decoration i have actually built an 18 inch high box they can sit on, this way they won't get buried in the snow, as for snow falling on the display I assume you are talking about snow on the roof falling onto things directly under the roof line simply put don't put any of your display items in that area, like George said don't use the heavy extension cords they are a buger to handle in the cold, I start my setup in Oct, i try to get most of my roof stuff done before the snow flies, you might want to start now LOl :D, make sure you have lots of extension cords and welcome aboard. :D

Thanks for the quick response and great feedback from everyone. I feel much more confident in making my first controller purchase! Don if it works for you at -45 then I think I am good to go with the residential system rather than PRO.

I am currently designing my first display - a dove that will flap its wings. I have an animation program so it is allowing me to play around before I get my software and hardware. :)

Thanks again for making this newbie feel so welcome/supportive on my first post!

Living in the Colorado mountains I know about snow and cold. First I try to elevate as much of my display as possible about 18" off the ground and still have to clear snow almost daily. This past winter my show ran flawlessly even during 2 nights of -40 degree temps. As mentioned before the power cords can become brittle in the bitter cold so just use caution moving them. One trick I do use on my power supply cords if I have to move them around is to unplug them from the controllers and plug in a 150 watt halogen light for about 15 minutes this load on the cord heats it up enough to make if flexible again so I can move it without the outer covering cracking. By the way WELCOME to our wonderful hobby.

Get the PC version to start. You should be fine. Whatever you buy just remember you will be buying more controllers. :-)

I live in upstate NY, not far from Buffalo. We have experienced heavy snowfall, high winds, heavy rain, ice storms, very cold (-5) and very warm (+70) all during the Christmas season which I consider to be the day after Thanksgiving until Epiphany (Jan 6).

I have had absolutely no problem with my LOR controllers (although I keep them under an overhang on a pole about 2 feet above the ground). I have never had a problem with the extension cords either. Once the season is over, I bring the cords as well as all my decorations down into the basement to thaw out before coiling and storing them.

The only problem I could envision was to have the controller or the ends of the extension cords laying in a puddle of water. The snow does not seem to effect the extension cords and the cold is actually good for the controller - it helps disipate any heat buildup.

First off Welcome!

Second, when securing lights to the top of you mega tree, DON'T USE ZIP TIES FROM LOWES! I HAD ALL OF MINE BECOME BRITTLE AND CRACK IN THE COLD AND GOOD BY MEGA TREE! So use wire or better zip ties for your mega tree or when suspending lights.

Sincerely,
John

PS I live in CT

I live in Edmonton Alberta and it can get to -40
I can't rememvber if we reached that temp since I bought my controllers but I have no doubt they will be just fine.
I use a lot of wire that is like lamp cord and would not move that until the temp warms up above freezing. i have a dozen or so lawn deer and other wire frames that are at ground level so a few time during the season I try to clear the snow around them. My mini trees are on a metal fence post that keeps them about a foot off the ground.
Start early! I will be putting the lights on the house in a few weeks! Where did the summer go?

wbottomley wrote:

FrozeninAK wrote:

1. Should I go with the Pro Commercial Light Controllers because of the cold. I read the comparison of the features but don't know what most of it means ;)

Run natural gas lines to all controllers. Then, have the auto igniter start the flame. Don't get them too hot or the electronics will melt (anything above 33F). :)
gee William that sounds like something id say

Rickbj wrote:

I live in upstate NY, not far from Buffalo.

That's not "upstate" :P I live in Watertown... that's upstate! :D

I've never had issues with the wires in the cold. Only issue I've had is the snow (2+ feet in the yard) covering the lights. As for the controllers working in the cold? This is my first year doing animated lights, so we will see. :)

Hi, I'm here in anchorage. my second year with lor started with32 channels added 80 channels for this year and looks like i'll be adding 80+ next year. I'm using the showtime pro , also been using leds here for years with no issues. never had an issue with things becoming brittle just buy good cold weather extension cords to your controllers then I use spt-2 16 gauge cords to the displays, I use my leaf blower to remove snow

• 2 weeks later...

If I can give a bit of advice for cold and snowy areas it's get the lights down as soon as you get a chance after your show is done.

I had a real warm day in January this year and started taking down some of the lights. I got lazy and left half of them up. A few days later the snow hit and they were stuck for months. We ended up getting lots of real icicles developing on our led ones. By the spring thaw I didn't have many lights left to take down. Unfortunately most of them were ruined. Live and learn!

Things work just fine in the cold weather. A few tips to remember though, like others have pointed out, it helps to keep your display elements above the snow line, leave the stuff buried in the snow until it thaws and don't wrap the connections in tape. One other tip I found that works well is that if you leave a controller or bunch of connections on the ground you can put a plastic tote from Lowes/Home Depot over them upside down and it will keep them reasonably dry. The snow will hide the tote.