Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie oldster question

joshua

Ok,

I created a seperate track that has my beat timings on it. How do I incorporate that track as part of the orignal track that i created that has all of my controllers on it? I want this new beat track to be my main track?

If I'm reading this correctly, Tracks may not be what you are wanting to do.

You can not incorporate one Track into another Track. To put another way, you can't simply say, "Move all of these channels, timings and events to the other track, please. The software doesn't have that functionality.

If you wanted to move your timing track to the top of the page, then you should be able to right-click on the track, and find the verbiage to move the track up.

For a much longer description of tracks, and how they can be used please read the following article: http://bit.ly/qNSOTn

If you are trying to get the timings into the sequence then I would make two suggestions.

1) The tracks method you have chosen will work, but in the long term it's not the most practical.
2) Insert some 'dummy' channels at the top if your sequence and use them for timing.

Also, take a look at the top/right part of the screen for the "Timings" button. With it you can generate different timing marks throughout the sequence.

Thanks for the info Don, I really appreciate it. Now can i go back in and add my channels to this track with these timings and delete the original one? Basically i was trying to do it the old way before we had tracks, where one row was your beat track.

Joshua

Quite welcome.

Just wanted to make sure I explained #2 correctly. By putting them at the top of your sequence, you are putting them in the same track as the other channels in your display. With the #2 method, you would only have 1 track.

I know this is a big stretch for "oldsters" who are used to the old LOR 1 way of fixed timings, but you may want to try this alternative, which works very well for me.

In the "Timings" menu, create a new timing called "Basic Beat".
Run the Beat Wizard, and tell it to insert a timing into the "Basic Beat" timing grid for each beat.

Use this new timing grid instead of the "Beat" channel. It's available from the "Timings" menu, where you can switch back to your fixed timing grid at any time.

If the Beat Wizard doesn't work well for your music, use this method to turn a "Beat" channel into a "Beat" timing grid:

1. If it isn't already in a track by itself, copy the "Beat" channel into a track all by itself.
  2. Give this track a fixed timing grid of .01.
  3. Convert this to a freeform timing grid. Name it "Beat". Select it.
  4. Edit -> Timings -> Delete Extraneous Timings.

Now you'll have a timing grid with a timing event everywhere your "Beat" channel did. You can now delete the track you just created and select the "Beat" timing grid wherever you need it.