Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas Lights in at Costco (all LEDS)

GaryBo

scubado wrote:

I'll have to check out Sam's club this weekend, see if they have anything in yet.

was at my local sams club nothing yet

Okay, next big question.....has anyone used the GE LED lights from Costco with LOR and are they dimmable? Full or half wave?

magish01 wrote:

Okay, next big question.....has anyone used the GE LED lights from Costco with LOR and are they dimmable? Full or half wave?
Not this year, but last year. They were (and are) GE's. I had no problem with LOR,
dimming, fading etc.

CKSedg wrote:

COSTCO never had strings of just one color---they're always multis.  I need green ones!

Patience my friend... patience
Hit Walmart when they put out their Christmas stuff.

LORi P wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
COSTCO never had strings of just one color---they're always multis. I need green ones!

WalMart had no green LEDs last year. I found two strands at Target, but could never find more. Hopefully it will be better this year.

CKSedg wrote:

LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:
COSTCO never had strings of just one color---they're always multis. I need green ones!

WalMart had no green LEDs last year. I found two strands at Target, but could never find more. Hopefully it will be better this year.

Green LEDs are more expensive to make, therefore stores are typically going to not have many of them since their profit margin is less per box. Walmart cases typically have 3 boxes of green in each of them. The rest are red and blue. None of the Walmart stores within a 30 minute drive of me had any greens -- at least after I was there! :P Most of the stores around here typically put 2-3 cases out during their first wave of setup (as they are still clearing out their other seasonal stuff). That is the time to hit. They can look up the SKU on the box and tell you how many they have in stock (I think they even looked up the number on the case box and could tell me how many cases they even had). Once I explained what I was doing and that I needed green, and that I was going to buy them all (plus lots of others) they were more than willing to grab the other cases and break them open for me to grab the greens out. Each case is packed the exact same, and last year I think the greens were all in the left front corner of the case.
They usually start this initial setup right after Halloween.

On topic though, those ones from Costco don't appear to be well priced. Last year Sam's had large reels of LEDs that were priced better than that. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign, of prices rising again on LEDs rather than going down (since they aren't so new any more). I hate this economy and the cause of it...

magish01 wrote:

Last year's models were half wave- I bought 20 GE cool white net lights and 22 GE icicle light sets on clearance in January- they seem to all dim fine.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Whats the name of that song oh ya

I am so excited :P:D:D

The fact that you can drive to a USA Costco near you would be a help if you want any of those Costco lights.

However our Costco sells completely different LEDs but are very good. It funny but according to this picture the folks down south pay $16.49 per box of 100 count for multi-coloured F/W, whereas we pay $16.49 for a (2 pack) of 50 count full wave LEDs.

Guest Don Gillespie

lightzilla wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
Whats the name of that song oh ya

I am so excited :P:D:D

The fact that you can drive to a USA Costco near you would be a help if you want any of those Costco lights.

However our Costco sells completely different LEDs but are very good. It funny but according to this picture the folks down south pay $16.49 per box of 100 count for multi-coloured F/W, whereas we pay $16.49 for a (2 pack) of 50 count full wave LEDs.
I know go figure why wouldn't ours be a 100 count also

Don Gillespie wrote:

lightzilla wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

I know go figure why wouldn't ours be a 100 count also

I thought the same thing until I realized I need 50 count Leds to add the the 70 count Leds so that I can complete my fans. I could use 50 count Leds on other display items.

I guess there are pros & cons about having a 100 count box & 2 50 count packs.

CKSedg wrote:

LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:
COSTCO never had strings of just one color---they're always multis.  I need green ones!

WalMart had no green LEDs last year.  I found two strands at Target, but could never find more.  Hopefully it will be better this year.

The Walmarts around me had some. I was even able to pick up about 10 or so boxes for 1/2 price after Christmas. I need a lot more green (I did not have a 2011 layout planned when Walmart had more boxes before Christmas). Heck, at that time I did not even know I was going to do LOR!!!

Should I scarf up all the green at Walmart that I can? Then the ones I don't need, I could sell to you guys on here? Though at $8 a box, I don't want to be stuck with 100 extra boxes.

Who would be interested?

Guest Don Gillespie

LORi P wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:

The Walmarts around me had some. I was even able to pick up about 10 or so boxes for 1/2 price after Christmas. I need a lot more green (I did not have a 2011 layout planned when Walmart had more boxes before Christmas). Heck, at that time I did not even know I was going to do LOR!!!

Should I scarf up all the green at Walmart that I can? Then the ones I don't need, I could sell to you guys on here? Though at $8 a box, I don't want to be stuck with 100 extra boxes.

Who would be interested?

forget Costco and wllmart i just came from an estate sale picked up a angel for $8.00 needed it to finish my display for this year what a bargain

Surfing4Dough wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:

Green LEDs are more expensive to make, therefore stores are typically going to not have many of them since their profit margin is less per box. Walmart cases typically have 3 boxes of green in each of them. The rest are red and blue. None of the Walmart stores within a 30 minute drive of me had any greens -- at least after I was there! :) Most of the stores around here typically put 2-3 cases out during their first wave of setup (as they are still clearing out their other seasonal stuff). That is the time to hit. They can look up the SKU on the box and tell you how many they have in stock (I think they even looked up the number on the case box and could tell me how many cases they even had). Once I explained what I was doing and that I needed green, and that I was going to buy them all (plus lots of others) they were more than willing to grab the other cases and break them open for me to grab the greens out. Each case is packed the exact same, and last year I think the greens were all in the left front corner of the case.
They usually start this initial setup right after Halloween.

On topic though, those ones from Costco don't appear to be well priced. Last year Sam's had large reels of LEDs that were priced better than that. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign, of prices rising again on LEDs rather than going down (since they aren't so new any more). I hate this economy and the cause of it...

Thanks. I'll keep a watch on the WalMarts in the area and see if they will help me.

LORi P wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:

Who would be interested?

I need about 50 strands of 60 or 70 count green. Let's see what this year brings, but I could be interested.

LORi P wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
LORi P wrote:
CKSedg wrote:

Who would be interested?

I have never seen anybody have difficulty selling green LEDs here.