Light-O-Rama Forums

Missing Lights!

timmy

I start setting up earlier than most due to I am the only help I have. I went out to my shed to get the lights out yesterday to start putting them on the house. As I am dragging the totes out I realize I am missing A LOT of lights. I have approximately 4000 LED lights missing. All I can find are my icicle lights and the yard decor. I looked in all the totes in my shed and garage to see if I could find them, but no luck. I don't think they grew legs and walked off. I hope that while I was on the roof removing the icicles last year that some Grinch didn't decide to help themselves to my hard earned money. This may be a very sad Christmas for me. My wife says I can not buy anymore lights this year. If I cant find them I might not be able to do my lights this year. I was planning on adding 6 CCR arches to the show this year, but I think it would look funny with arches and icicles only. Anyways, I just wanted to kind of vent for a minute. Thanks for being a good listener LOR Forum. LOL.

Guest Don Gillespie

Well that sucks, don't know what to say other than sorry to hear that, hopefully somehting will turn up maybe a buddy playing a joke we can only hope its something this easy if somebody did steal them may they rot in hell

Sorry to hear about the missing lights. Are you sure you didn't stick them somewhere that you're just not remembering? It's OK to admit it, we all get old...

I hope they turn up somewhere for you.

D.T.

I'm with Jeff. I ALWAYS make a list of where what is. I still mis-place things, but they usually turn up. Usually in the last place I look :D

testraub wrote:

I'm with Jeff. I ALWAYS make a list of where what is. I still mis-place things, but they usually turn up. Usually in the last place I look :D

Obviously it's always the last place you look, since you stop looking once you find them!

Jeff Millard wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
Obviously it's always the last place you look, since you stop looking once you find them!

I love that line. My wife uses it waaay too much! Her other favorite is a response to any location question... "It's around here somewhere" Thank you for pointing out the obvious wifey!...

Jeff

Just for grins and giggles I will occasionally find something, then keep looking for it just to show its NOT always in the last place you look.

I just love people that have a PhD in "The Obvious" .... :shock:

I am going home this evening and tearing the garage, attic, and shed apart. I looked in all three yesterday but ran out of time. I really hope they turn up.

I hope that is not what happened. Right now I am not 100% sure I can rule that out. There was one night I left my shed open and some of my totes outside over night. That is what really has me worried.

My other favorite, It's exactly where you put it, but under something else so you didn't see it the first 2-3 times you looked there. :P

thats crazy, who would want to steal Christmas lights,man some pretty sick people in this world,or maybe just jealous of your display

Guest Don Gillespie

scubado wrote:

My other favorite, It's exactly where you put it, but under something else so you didn't see it the first 2-3 times you looked there. :D

Couldn't have said it better I lost some lights last year could not find them untill I cleaned out the garage last weekend and viola found them just pisses you off you can't find them in the first place

So after getting home, I completely emptied my shed and attic. No luck. My sister came over to help and she says they are not here either. I went back in my garage and there is nowhere they can be in there. I am almost 100% convinced they are gone. I guess I will just have to start putting the lights up and see how far I get so I will know how to adjust my sequences. I hope that IF someone did take them, they get what they deserve.

timmy wrote:

So after getting home, I completely emptied my shed and attic. No luck. My sister came over to help and she says they are not here either. I went back in my garage and there is nowhere they can be in there. I am almost 100% convinced they are gone. I guess I will just have to start putting the lights up and see how far I get so I will know how to adjust my sequences. I hope that IF someone did take them, they get what they deserve.

Yea, ELECTROCUTED would be poetic justice!

Sorry to hear that. Call me paranoid, but when I take my stuff down, it gets packed immediately into it's container and then placed where I keep it, then I take out the next container and take down, pack, put away. This way I don't have totes with stuff in them sprouting legs and just walking away.

Yep, it may take me longer to take down than some, but this is just the way I do it and I haven't lost anything to date by doing so. Although last year I did leave 2 strings of lights on a couple bushes that somehow I over looked. Go figure. Found them when I was just about to trim up the bushes. They were pushed down more inside the bushes, so not as noticeable as the ones wrapped around outside. So they wouldn't even be visible to someone unless they were right on top of the bushes looking down into them. First time I ever did that was last year.

Having a very limited area and being in an apartment this year, I am putting up a temporary fence (with permission) to keep not only thieves out, but the idiots that do our lawn maintenance as these buffoons would just end up cutting my cords, destroy display items with their weed wackers and blowers, so got to keep these doofuses out of my display area and away from all the decor. Especially since some items can't be replaced, and if they destroyed/damaged any of these, I'd be furious, not to mention giving them a bill for irreplaceable cost, which wouldn't be cheap!

Again, sorry to hear someone may have heisted your lights, that is just downright awful that some folks are just so mean spirited to do something like that.

One time I had some things stolen during a move. Thinking that if people are so greedy that they would steal, I also figured they would be too greedy to stop at stealing just once. So I pretended not to notice anything was gone, and do the exact same thing -- maybe even leaving my things out in an even more vulnerable place for theft. Sure enough, they took the bait! Gotcha!!!
You could set up a little alarm system from a DIY project and put the bait out again this year. Make the decoy the first thing that would be tampered with....
I know - a little evil, but kinda having fun with it at the same time. Since it was so long ago, chances are your theifs are gone, or just kids on more of a dare/vandal mode...
Good luck this year and I suppose be happy they did not run off with controllers/computer/etc.... But ultimately I know the real pain was feeling violated. Glad to see people here in the forums are a good tool for the healing process!
Happy Holidays and Cheers!

The electrocution would be crazy justice. I would hope no one shows up and tells me it is a prank because they really do not want to find out just how mad it makes me to destroy the happiness this brings to so many people. I live in a very small town and my display drew quite a crowd night after night. I can only assume by word of mouth that it will be even busier this year. Everyone that came buy was in Awe! They all said they brought family and friends back for a second, third or even more trips. I wouldn't wish this to happen to anybody. I am not going to let it get me down, I am going to do the best with what we have and I WILL be putting my display up again this year. I might just have to try the bait idea this year. I had one guy that stopped by while I was in the process of removing lights stop by and mention how EXPENSIVE LED lights are. I hope it wasn't him, but who knows in today's world.

Since you are in a small town, maybe put out a flyer at the local grocery store about the missing lights. Maybe a parent will recognize it and have their kids come forth with them. Or scour the neighborhood to see who might have a large static display this year. 4000 leds will definately stand out!
If you have recycling of cardboard and such, scan recycle containers for overflowing boxes for the lights.