Light-O-Rama Forums

Fm transmitter and speakers

Guest guest

I live in AZ which is pretty dry. I just use some older stereo speaker that I bring in to the garage each night. I will be using the Ramses FM25 transmitter this year for the first time.

Flanman.

I have a pair of Advent indoor/outdoor speakers that I use. I think my wife got them from Sam's Club. They work great outdoors and after Christmas they come back inside and become my surround sound speakers for the rest of the year.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I have a pair of Advent indoor/outdoor speakers that I use. I think my wife got them from Sam's Club. They work great outdoors and after Christmas they come back inside and become my surround sound speakers for the rest of the year.

HOLY COW, MAN! You've lost your mind! You cannot watch movies in surround for the entire Christmas Season?!!

:)

Push Eject

Ramsey 25B from Big Eds on eBay. All wired, tested, and ready to go out of the box. Only thing I added was a simple dipole antenna. This is my first year with a small display, so only using the FM through each viewer's car radio. Didn't want to bother the neighbors with outdoor speakers.

what about the belkin transmitter small not alot of money but does the job.I have it hooked up to the computer set to 88.3 fm for car radios now to play music out side do i have to use a set of computer speakers? or regular speakers and how would i set it up thank you Blair

sysco wrote:

what about the belkin transmitter small not alot of money but does the job.I have it hooked up to the computer set to 88.3 fm for car radios now to play music out side do i have to use a set of computer speakers? or regular speakers and how would i set it up thank you Blair

Blair, I have the belkin, and It works well. I am hooking my belkin to my laptop, and then the speakers are hooked up to a amp in side the house. the speakers are Bose outdoor speakers, and a rock speaker. For halloween the bose worked really well and had great sound.

I use the Belkin as well with no problems. No shifting, no static, for the buck, I think it is well worth it.

I use a pair of old cheap-o PC speakers outside, and they work well also. Just can't crank it up real loud because they tend to break up, but I don't need it that loud anyway. You can hear it just loud enough at the edge of my street.

Besides, I only use the thing for a couple hours a day during Christmas, then it goes away with the rest of the stuff. That's why I haven't spent the big bucks on one of the upper ramsey units.

Some of us have to be different. While rummaging around looking for something to hook to the 2x65w. amp inside the control box, my son decides to use his boom box with a cassette looking device that has a 1/8" stereo plug and wire hooked to it. It was plenty loud enough for Halloween music.

I don't yet have a decent transmitter but he found among his junk a $2.00 thing to try @ 88.5MHZ. It has trouble outside 20 feet and the street is 45 ft. out, so it won't work.

Anything out there in the $50 range with a range of at least 50 feet?

i have a belkin without the antenna mod, i was having trouble getting good reception, but i went to radio shack and bought a extender cable for it and ran it throught the window on the side of my house, then sealed it up in a zip lock bag, put it in the cable tv wire box and now i have reception all the way down the street both ways.

Roadrat wrote:

I don't yet have a decent transmitter but he found among his junk a $2.00 thing to try @ 88.5MHZ. It has trouble outside 20 feet and the street is 45 ft. out, so it won't work.

Anything out there in the $50 range with a range of at least 50 feet?

Ditto on the Belkin mod. Actually, I did the "Belkin" mod on a non-Belkin FM transmitter...the concept is the same.

The basic premise is: take one of those fm transmitters you use to plug into your iPod or other MP3 player and listen on your vehicle's FM radio -- add a full or half wave-length anntenna and AC power. Now your broadcast range goes from 20 feet to 200+ feet.

I get about 500 feet with mine -- maybe a bit too powerful.

$30 FM transmitter. $10 universal AC adapter. $3 solid-core copper wire (for antenna), plus tax < $50. You may even have the last two items laying around the house.