Light-O-Rama Forums

DC-MP3 not found

Guest guest

Hi Dan, John, Tim and the gang:

Text edited....

I was able to upgrade my mp3 firmware, but I discovered something that may/may not be an issue.

There are 2 sockets for plug in ICs on the board. One has an IC (8 pin), but the other doesn't.. the inner one on mine).

I just now, while typing this noticed the picture of the unit on the website shows both sockets have IC!

Am I missing an IC, that I may be a serial port communication device, or is that inner socket supposed to be empty?

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Hi Dan, John, Tim and the gang:

Text edited....

I was able to upgrade my mp3 firmware, but I discovered something that may/may not be an issue.

There are 2 sockets for plug in ICs on the board. One has an IC (8 pin), but the other doesn't.. the inner one on mine).

I just now, while typing this noticed the picture of the unit on the website shows both sockets have IC!

Am I missing an IC, that I may be a serial port communication device, or is that inner socket supposed to be empty?

Greg

I'm sure they'll answer that it is supposed to be like that. In fact the board that I've got doesn't even have the socket anymore. It just has the holes in the board where one could be connected. I would guess they used it during the debugging of the board (total guess). If you notice the image from the manual, it also has USB and a couple other chips that probably aren't on the board you have.

dslowik wrote:

I'm sure they'll answer that it is supposed to be like that. In fact the board that I've got doesn't even have the socket anymore. It just has the holes in the board where one could be connected.

It is supposed to be like that. The second IC was a comm chip which we didn't need and it just consumed power so we stopped putting it there. People already had RS485 ports on their PCs (via serial or USB adapter) for LOR. The DC-MP3 has an RS485 port. You can run much longer cables or wireless with the RS485. Giving people an SD card reader/writer with the DC-MP3 was far more convient than making them drag the DC-MP3 (which was usually inside an LOR1602W controller) to the PC. We realized that the USB port was inconvenient and redundant, so we stopped putting it there as well. When things get less hectic, I'll take another picture.