Light-O-Rama Forums

Forum email notifications link

Paul Roberson

What it underlines and what it goes to can be 2 separate things. That's how phishers get you to click a link: It looks like it's going to paypal, but it really is going to their scam site....

In your eMail program, you should be able to point at the link and in the status bar it will show you the exact URL it will go to. Is the stuff after '#' there?

If you right click on the link, is there something that says, 'Copy URL' or 'Copy Link Address'? If so, copy it and then paste it into notepad. Is the stuff after '#' there?

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Couple more observations.

The whole link including the "#p257762" is underlined and highlighted in blue in the email.

At the very top of IE when it opens the page it starts with: Forum email notifications link-

mine are underlined also...
did I see in an earlier post that you tried Firefox also?

Yes, I have tried Firefox and Chrome

DevMike wrote:

What it underlines and what it goes to can be 2 separate things. That's how phishers get you to click a link: It looks like it's going to paypal, but it really is going to their scam site....

In your eMail program, you should be able to point at the link and in the status bar it will show you the exact URL it will go to. Is the stuff after '#' there?

If you right click on the link, is there something that says, 'Copy URL' or 'Copy Link Address'? If so, copy it and then paste it into notepad. Is the stuff after '#' there?

When pointing at the link, I see the whole link including the "#" in the status bar at the bottom.

There is a 'copy shortcut".

Right clicking and selecting copy shortcut and pasting the into notepad. The paste also includes the "#p

Found this information and tried it.

In IE8 internet options, secutity window

"allow script-initiated windows without size or position constraints" was disabled. I enabled that in "internet", "local intranet', 'trusted sites', and 'restricted sites' Closed IE8. Tried a link in email and got the same results.

Attached files 257801=14200-IE8 internet options securi

DevMike wrote:

If you copy shortcut, then paste it into IE or FF, does it go to the correct message?

Yes, it goes to the correct message then.

How about trying this:

Next time you get an email notification, DON'T click on the link, but instead just go the forum and find that thread in the RECENT list (should be at the top, or pretty close to the top)...

Then click on the little Green Arrow that is in the title...

this SHOULD take you to the last post (or the last post you have not viewed)...

let us know the results...

jimswinder wrote:

How about trying this:

Next time you get an email notification, DON'T click on the link, but instead just go the forum and find that thread in the RECENT list (should be at the top, or pretty close to the top)...

Yes doing that will infact take me to that post.

Still looking for a way to fix my problem.:?

Paul Roberson wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
How about trying this:

Yes doing that will infact take me to that post.

Still looking for a way to fix my problem.:?

lol...just trying to narrow down your problem!!! :)

obviously an email problem and not forum problem...

I understand.:cool:

Yes, I agree it is either windows live mail, IE8, or my computer. :X

Paul Roberson wrote:

I understand.:cool:

Yes, I agree it is either windows live mail, IE8, or my computer. :X

I would vote your computer...

as I use Windows Live mail (Hotmail) and IE (though version 6 here at work) and don't have any problems...

Another thing. I can right click on the link in windows live mail and 'add to favorites" then open IE8 and go to favorites and click on the link that was added and it will take me directly to the new post.

Hmm:?

Using 'windows live mail' program/icon on my computer is the place I have the problems with the link.

If I go to 'mail.live.com" I can click on a link there and it will take me to the actual post instead of the top of the page....

Still:?:?

Have you tried sending an email to support for live mail? Just googling, and not being at all familiar with the different flavors of windows live mail, it looks like this has been a recurring problem to some extent for a long time.

Does it occur on any machine you use, no matter which OS?

DonFL wrote:

Have you tried sending an email to support for live mail? Just googling, and not being at all familiar with the different flavors of windows live mail, it looks like this has been a recurring problem to some extent for a long time.

Does it occur on any machine you use, no matter which OS?

LOL. I had not looked at support for live mail. I poked around there for a bit.

I uninstalled windows live mail and reinstalled it. It appears to be working now.

Thanks for the idea.