Light-O-Rama Forums

Fog Machine....Recommendations?

jimswinder

I am in the process of sequencing a certain song, and it just hit me that some fog would really make the sequence more dramatic!!

Went to eBay to check out the Fog Machines...but my head started to spin (and we ALL know how easy that happens) when I saw all the different Chauvet Models...

Any recommendations for one for outdoor use?

Was thinking of putting them on the roof and letting the "fog" roll down...

jimswinder wrote:

I am in the process of sequencing a certain song, and it just hit me that some fog would really make the sequence more dramatic!!

Went to eBay to check out the Fog Machines...but my head started to spin (and we ALL know how easy that happens) when I saw all the different Chauvet Models...

Any recommendations for one for outdoor use?

Was thinking of putting them on the roof and letting the "fog" roll down...
depends on how much fog you want and how thick. I bought two Chauvet 1300's because I have a huge yard. If you want to LOR control it and you have a small yard then the 1100 is your boy plus the remote is easily modified. The remotes I had for mine that I sent to a board member to modify will most likely never return and they are the more complicated ones. another consideration, 10ft black drainage pipe attached (and plugged at one end) and loaded with frozen bottles of water will cause the fog to stay closer to the ground.

If you mount it on the roof it has to stay level.

Arnoldc wrote:

Jim-
I have a cheapy from target.. If you are interested I can cut you a deal.. I doubt Ill ever use it again.

are you not using it because it is cheap and you are not getting the results you wanted from it?

I don't mind paying more for a unit that will do what I need for it to do...

The fog will not roll down unless you run it through a cooler. The fog out of the machine is warm and tends to rise.

caniac wrote:

depends on how much fog you want and how thick.

**Doesn't have to be REAL thick...but enough to be noticed. I want it to "roll" down my roof line...and it is about 50' across **

**I can do that.**

How long does it take to "fill" your yard?

Chauvet 1100 on eBay is around $100...good price?

Brian Mitchell wrote:

The fog will not roll down unless you run it through a cooler. The fog out of the machine is warm and tends to rise.

Good to know!!

But that would work also....I don't want the fog down in the yard...more up on my roof so I can put them down at the bottom of the roof.

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
depends on how much fog you want and how thick.

**Doesn't have to be REAL thick...but enough to be noticed. I want it to "roll" down my roof line...and it is about 50' across **

**I can do that.**

a section of mine that i tested it on was 50ft wide and it took maybe ten minutes or less and that was without the drainage pipe and frozen bottles of water.

jimswinder wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
Jim-
I have a cheapy from target.. If you are interested I can cut you a deal.. I doubt Ill ever use it again.

are you not using it because it is cheap and you are not getting the results you wanted from it?

I don't mind paying more for a unit that will do what I need for it to do...
No, it put tons of fog out.. The reason is I got it for Halloween last year.. Well, to make a long disappointing story short, I only had 2 trick or treaters. So needless to say, I decided not to get all carried away with Halloween..

caniac wrote:

a section of mine that i tested it on was 50ft wide and it took maybe ten minutes or less and that was without the drainage pipe and frozen bottles of water.

hmmmm...guess "the" song would have to be first on my play-list or else the fog would have to start "rolling" in while the two other songs before it play in the show...

Arnoldc wrote:

. Well, to make a long disappointing story short, I only had 2 trick or treaters. So needless to say, I decided not to get all carried away with Halloween..

yeah...not like when I was kid...we would be running into each other Halloween night and waiting for others to leave for our turn at the door...

do you have a model number...and what do you want for it?

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

hmmmm...guess "the" song would have to be first on my play-list or else the fog would have to start "rolling" in while the two other songs before it play in the show...
depends on the area you need to fill, but if you go with the 1100 there is a thread in the Halloween section. to keep it low and rolling i have read and have tested the drainage pipe and frozen bottles of water (drainage pipe is the black variety at lowes and has matching end cap). if you do the LOR mod then you can control it all with your controller. i have a really big yard so it took several "burst" to fill the yard up.

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

I'm thinking two would do very nicely....

one each under my Mega Tree and Weber Tree...
yep, and if you stick with the 1100 there is a mod you can make to the remote that will allow it to be triggered by LOR.

caniac wrote:

yep, and if you stick with the 1100 there is a mod you can make to the remote that will allow it to be triggered by LOR.

Question:

If I have LOR trigger it, and there is a 5 minute time lag to heat it up, can I trigger it in Song #1 (for pre-heating) and have the fog "roll-out" in Song #3 without it turning off during Song #2?

Or would I have to have it sequenced in Song #2 to be "on" also?

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

Question:

If I have LOR trigger it, and there is a 5 minute time lag to heat it up, can I trigger it in Song #1 (for pre-heating) and have the fog "roll-out" in Song #3 without it turning off during Song #2?

Or would I have to have it sequenced in Song #2 to be "on" also?
I guess I was a bit confusing, when you turn it on it may 5 mins to heat up BUT from that point on it stays heated. as with all fog machines once you discharge what is heated then it take a minute or two before you can shoot the next blast. The LOR trigger is all about when you want to shoot out the fog. if you turn it on 5mins prior to your show you should be good to go. if you use standard fog fluid and chill it then it lingers around longer and closer to the ground.

Here are some things you need to know. First, 400W fog machines don't work in cold weather. A 1000W one does OK, around $80 at Party City. Second, Halloween vendors have fog juice that will create a low lying fog without having to chill, a little more money than the generic stuff at stores. Having more than one is great for moving air. Even on a calm night the fog can drift one way and change a couple minutes later and then shift back, very annoying when using a single unit.

scubado wrote:

Here are some things you need to know. First, 400W fog machines don't work in cold weather. A 1000W one does OK, around $80 at Party City. Second, Halloween vendors have fog juice that will create a low lying fog without having to chill, a little more money than the generic stuff at stores. Having more than one is great for moving air. Even on a calm night the fog can drift one way and change a couple minutes later and then shift back, very annoying when using a single unit.

I have tested the low lying fog juice and tho the fog stays low they get that effect by having it evaporate quicker. If you use the regular stuff and chill it then it stays on the ground long and lingers. I am using a 1300 Chauvet unit.