Light-O-Rama Forums

Does anyone have this EDM transmitter?

scubado

I'm finally ready to get a transmitter and getting an EDM. I'm looking to get this one: EDM-LCD-CS-EP http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html and was wondering if others are happy with it. Earlier in the year the enclosers were out of stock and then the ordering page was under construction. The specs aren't very clear on this model, it's in the LED list, but states that this one is LCD, so I'm not sure which specs apply to this one. I want to make sure it's stereo, only needs to transmit a 100yds at most, only so the neighbors across the field can pickup the signal from their apartment. I'm not interested in the RDS chip.

Hey,
I don't have that model... but I do have the EDM-TX-LCD-EP.

The only issue I ever had with mine was that the standard antenna it came with transmitted no bass at all... it was like listening to an oldies AM radio station...

My computer is in the basement, and I run a 80FT coax cable (using an RCA to RG6 adapter) from the transmitter to an outside antenna I picked up off eBay for $25. Once I got the Coax and antenna hooked up, it was like listening to a good local FM radio station...
I can get about 5 houses down the road without loosing clarity with the EDM-TX-LCD-EP.

scubado wrote:

I'm finally ready to get a transmitter and getting an EDM. I'm looking to get this one: EDM-LCD-CS-EP http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html and was wondering if others are happy with it. Earlier in the year the enclosers were out of stock and then the ordering page was under construction. The specs aren't very clear on this model, it's in the LED list, but states that this one is LCD, so I'm not sure which specs apply to this one. I want to make sure it's stereo, only needs to transmit a 100yds at most, only so the neighbors across the field can pickup the signal from their apartment. I'm not interested in the RDS chip.

Yep, thats the one we went with. I've tested it several times so far and I couldn't ask for anything better!!! Day or night this thing is crystal clear with just the test antenna. I'm getting the same results as ace_master, about 5 to 6 houses with no fuzz...

I ordered the LCD-CS-EP for this year, have done some testing, very happy with it.

Its an LCD display, "assembly", if you want to call it that, takes less than 30 minutes.

It has two (left/right) channel inputs.

John Slade wrote:

scubado wrote:

Yep, thats the one we went with. I've tested it several times so far and I couldn't ask for anything better!!! Day or night this thing is crystal clear with just the test antenna. I'm getting the same results as ace_master, about 5 to 6 houses with no fuzz...

Glad to hear you like it. Do you know if it follows the LED specs, or the LCD series specs. On the order page it is grouped with the LED units. I'm guessing it's the same as the LED units, just changed the the screen to LCD?

scubado wrote:

John Slade wrote:
scubado wrote:

Glad to hear you like it. Do you know if it follows the LED specs, or the LCD series specs. On the order page it is grouped with the LED units. I'm guessing it's the same as the LED units, just changed the the screen to LCD?

Assume you saw this on the EDM page:
EDMLCDCS1.jpg

John Slade wrote:

scubado wrote:

Honestly... I haven't a clue! All great questions! :D It was inexpensive and had good reviews so I went with it. :)

John Slade wrote:

John Slade wrote:

scubado wrote:

Honestly... I haven't a clue! All great questions! :D It was inexpensive and had good reviews so I went with it. :)

Do you have any bass issues that ace_master had with his? Wondering if I should get the rubber duck antenna right away with it. The best viewing is about 60' from transmitter. The neighbors with the best view from their dwelling is about 400'.

Didn't notice any type of bass issues at all. It sounded REALLY clear, just like you were listening to a "real" radio station... and this was with the transmitter at the very back of our house (brick walls if that makes a difference). I'll hook it up tonight and recheck it with some "sandstorm" :D

Its hard to determine what the "bass issues" really were, but an antenna alone isn't going to make a difference, i.e., provide a bass boost, unless you had such paltry signal, and then improved, and it was purely a signal strength issue.

When you consider RF signal, 80 ft of cable, plus adapters, is loss enough to where you don't gain much with an external antenna. Short cable runs to any type of matched antenna is preferred.

I am using a true rubber duck antenna cut for FM, designed for this application, and that is sufficient, each situation is different.

The "specs" and "order" pages on the EDM website make it very clear as to the differences between the LCD and older LED models.

i have that model and i love it it can be over driven tho keep input audio levels kind of on the low side i drive mine from my old dell with a sound blaster sound card and i do use an outside ant.with a standing wave ratio of 1.2 to 1runing 50 foot of r g 58

scubado wrote:

Do you have any bass issues that ace_master had with his? Wondering if I should get the rubber duck antenna right away with it. The best viewing is about 60' from transmitter. The neighbors with the best view from their dwelling is about 400'.

Ok, so hooked up the transmitter again just to confirm, and indeed... no problems at all!! It is quite impressive how well it works... bass levels were awesome (yes i used sandstorm) I did refer to this thread for volume control
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=26699&forum_id=80&highlight=edm post #6 download the pdf (thanks bisquit476!!!)

Just outta curiosity.. what does the rubber duck antenna do for ya and where can you get one???

John Slade wrote:

Just outta curiosity.. what does the rubber duck antenna do for ya and where can you get one???

You can order directly from EDM:
http://edmdesign.com/orders.html

I just use the included standard wire antenna with great results with my EDM-LCD-RDS model. Bass was fine too--if anything too much bass, so found that using an in-line volume control corrected that (by reducing the input level):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2552561
pRS1C-3372825w345.jpg

ace_master wrote:

The only issue I ever had with mine was that the standard antenna it came with transmitted no bass at all... it was like listening to an oldies AM radio station...

My computer is in the basement, and I run a 80FT coax cable (using an RCA to RG6 adapter) from the transmitter to an outside antenna I picked up off eBay for $25. Once I got the Coax and antenna hooked up, it was like listening to a good local FM radio station...

I really doubt that the antenna had anything to do with changing the frequency of the music or limiting the bass range.

The volume level of the input signal is very important though. The EDM is sensitive to input level and is apt to distort if anything more than -10 dbv is seen at the inputs.

EDM user since 2007 and love it!

John Slade wrote:

I don't need to cover a huge area with my transmitter, no need for a large outdoor mounted antenna. My show computer and transmitter will be in the garage, clear view of the area I need to cover. I don't need a 1/2 mile radius--all that would get me is the raccoons, armadillos, and bobcats could now hear the show...:D

You can find both telescoping (metal) and "rubber duck" (i.e., flexible) antennas on ebay, just make sure you are getting an antenna cut for the FM frequency range (88-107 mhz). You'll see wideband scanner antennas, etc that look the same, but they will not work well for you.

I picked up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FM-transmitter-Antenna-88Mhz-108Mhz-1W-BNC-connector-/300530086752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8fd3360

Quick performance test confirmed it got the job done, and it is compact and convenient. If you go with the same model, you'll also need a BNC to RCA adapter, available on ebay, or other sources

As you can see by the many posts on this topic, we beat this one to death regularly. There is no single right or wrong answer as far as antenna choice vs. quality, as long as you are staying within FCC limits.