Light-O-Rama Forums

How to make LIGHTNING

fhuggins98

Hi
I'm pretty new at it but on my first display I used white flood lights and put them in my trees and in my flower beds flooding upwards against the house walls. I then started with a quick full on and used twinkle and a fade. Looked very real. Don't know if I have video.

I am not to good at sequences. i am looking for a 16 channel one. WoW lights have one, but i didn't want to pay $80. Thanks

David Rise wrote:

Redneck lightning. I would not have believed it, if I didn't just see it.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that video too! So I just had to post it because I did find it very funny! LOL

So I guess this will give Jeff Foxworthy(the King of the Redneck jokes) some new material, huh? ROFL

Something like: You must be a redneck if you turn your empty beer cans into light'n generators.

• 1 month later...

fhuggins98 wrote:

I am not to good at sequences. i am looking for a 16 channel one. WoW lights have one, but i didn't want to pay $80. Thanks
I did and it is worth the $80

When you need lightning, just pull out your trusty Martin Atomic Strobe and your iDMX. It's 3000 watts of blinding fun! (Make sure you tell your neighbors to pull down their shades before you fire it up!)

I only have 1, but they are better in groups.

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=atomic

D.T.

(notice dancer in left window :D)

Attached files 262792=14556-atomic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just uploaded my sequence to landolights.com under lightning for everyone to use. Don't see it there yet but may take a while.

If you want more lightning, just click and paste more in the channels. Setup...channel 1-5 has a 5oow halogen flood light on each. Home depot has these for $6 each now at the stores that carry them. Channels 6-8 have 80w strobe lights bought from christmaslightshow.com. Place the halogen lights in a semi circle space out across the entire front of the house. Put the 3 strobes aimed at the sides of the house. You are done!
I did not like the color difference between the strobes and the halogen so I went to the local theater lighting store and got some blue gells that match the colors better. Just tell them what you are doing and they can direct you to the right color.

Shoot me a pm with any questions

sound bite

http://www.freesound.org/people/RHumphries/sounds/2523/

• 4 weeks later...

I had lightning and a group of singing pumpkins for my Halloween setup last year. This was first first animated Halloween display and definitely got me hooked and ready for my Christmas setup.

For the lightning, I used 8 simple floods - 2 red floods for the house wash, 2 yellow floods, and 4 white floods. These were all from Home Depot, along with the outdoor flood holder. These were a lot cheaper than the speciality sets that I was finding on the web. Two of the white floods were up on the roof pointed at the house to give a brighter effect. The others were out front and hidden behind other yard props - these gave more of the wash effect.

I mixed the music with the thunder claps using Audacity (free download). It really was fairly easy to use. Having the thunder mixed in through out the music with a couple of different types of thunder claps really added a lot and was a great effect. The kids and neighbors really enjoyed the full effect.

Here's a link to the video -

The sequence sample and instructions for this came from a post I found on this or one of the other support forums. I don't know who created and posted this but I'd like to thank them and give them the credit. As a still newbie (my 2nd year), I can't begin to describe how many of these forums and posts I went thru to get ideas for both the Halloween and Christmas setups and want to thank the collective group for the help.

Attached files LOR Lightning.pdf