Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT plugs getting cracks in them

craigh

crackchecker wrote:

Craig,

Maybe it has something to do with OUR heat

Craig,
I think you should mail them all to crackchecker so he can inspect them since he apparently is the official checker of cracks around here. :D(to each their own, BTW.)

Guest wbottomley

caniac wrote:

craigh wrote:
The male end of the light string is not polarized. The Female plug end is polarized.  The male end of the light string plugs in easily to the female end and does not have to be forced.

I won't go there but this thread is ripe for derailing!!!

That's why I posted something ripe and ready to be picked. :)

Guest wbottomley

Surfing4Dough wrote:

crackchecker wrote:
Craig,

Maybe it has something to do with OUR heat

Craig,
I think you should mail them all to crackchecker so he can inspect them since he apparently is the official checker of cracks around here.  :)  (to each their own, BTW.)

+1 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an Update:

I sent some of the cracked plugs back to Action Lighting, who called me to let me know what they think might have happened. First the SPT plugs a made from a plastic that is more rigid than plugs that come with regular power cords, and can crack much easier. The cracking could be caused by a prong that is to big for the hole, and thus cracking the female plug. The cracks are all on the same side of the plug - the non-polarized plug. The holes measure 1/4" long by 1/16" in width, if the male ends of the light strings have prongs bigger than this, they could be the cause of the cracking. Action lighting is looking at some of their SPT1 plugs and comparing them to the SPT2's to see if there is a difference in the hole sizes, they are also going to look at their light strings to see if the find prongs that are bigger in size. Action Lighting also sent some of the plugs back to the manufacturer, asking them to check and see if their dies are off just a bit making the holes smaller. I am going to check my light string plugs to see what sizes they are. My light strings are all from the same manufacturer, but that does not mean that some of the prongs aren't just a bit larger than they should be.

I have ordered the replacements for all my cracked plugs. Now back to my projects!!

Craig