Light-O-Rama Forums

Double Rainbow Flood vs Minions LED Spots

CLD Kevin

With all these comparisons and pictures...you think I'm on SE payroll :P

Double Rainbow Floods vs Minions LED spots. Minions only come in spots and not floods. Something to do with the light spread. Minions LEDs are defiantly bright. The ones I have are the biggest and brightest PAR38 floods available. The Red Spot has 120 LEDs. Green and Blue have 72 LEDs. A 120 LED model in Green and Blue is also available, but I used half the LED size because they are brighter color than red. I wanted all three colors to be about the same brightness.

I placed both RF and Minions about 10ft from the house. As you see from the pictures, Minions are a little brighter then the Double RF. The Single RF would have no comparison. The center of the light is very bright on the Minions, but gets lighter the farther outside...because they are spots and not floods. The Double RF keeps the same color wash, but does get lighter in the upper area. I moved Minions further away from the house to get rid of the bright center, but the color wash was too dark.

Minions are about $30-$35 each (up $10 from last year) and for only one color. (Personally, I would never recommend anyone to Minions. The spots didn’t fade for me with the current firmware and their customer service is horrible. Fact is, I filed a complaint with BBB against them. They still never answer and I lost out on some of my money...back to the write up). RF are $48 assembled ($25 for DIY), $5 for the mounting board (plywood works too), $10 for the flood housing (Lowes) and a few dollars for misc items (solder, hot glue, wire, ect). A double RF completed and pre-assembled will run you about $110-$115 ($70 for a Single RF). DIY is about $60-$65 for a Double RF. And this is for RGB...and they fade!

If the RF are not bright enough for you...then you are looking in the $250-$300 range for each flood...and doesn’t include a power source. That is extra. The CCF are coming soon. Not sure how bright or how much. With 6 Double RF across my house...they will cross each other causing a brighter effect. Plus with 6 floods, I have that ability to fade from one side to the other. With 1 or 2 very bright floods...you lose that effect.

I’m planning on making a video of the 6 Double RF only to a sequence within the next week. See how they look.

Kevin

Attached files Rainbow Flood vs Minions.pdf

I am going for these-http://www.vimeo.com/26211335

More info about them here-http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=5222.0

They will be much simpler to put together than the old version. They are still in the testing phase and not available yet but it won't be long.

I’d like to clarify my write-up. I was trying to compare the RF to traditional PAR38 LEDs. My intentions should not been directed at Minions only as there are several vendors that carry this type of product. It’s too late to edit my post…so just image where its written “Minions”, change to “PAR38”.

Kevin