Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick LOR question

Guest guest

OK, this is my first year with LOR. I have a 16 channel Show Time LOR1602W controller. My sequences are pretty much done, or at least as much as a newbie can say done. I've installed the exterior GFCI outlets, I've tested my lights. My next task brings up a seemingly favorite question around here: Where to put the controller? I live in a single family home in a dense suburban residential area. There is a history of occasional vandalism in the neighborhood, though I have not been a victim. My thought was to place the controller in a disused truck tool box that I have on a side patio next to my outlets. If I lock my controller in the truck box, I am no longer concerned with theft. The question is, am I going to be exposing the controller to an area where there will be too much heat build up? I am not running much off of the controller at all, and in tests I have not noticed a lot of heat. Am I setting myself up for trouble?

Heat build up will probably not be your problem. My thought is a pickup tool box is a more attractive target that an UGLY controller box. I spray my mottled black and mount them anywhere. The really just look like a electrical distribution system that would have no value at the local pawn shop. I don't want them for look like anything of value. Just an ol' curmudgeon's point of view.

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply!

I hear you on the ugly box. Thankfully the truck box I mentioned has been in residence on that side patio for 3 years. It ain't pretty to say the least. :) In addition to the controller, the truck box has a bunch of cinder block and, various other detritus in, and around it. It is not the type of thing I would expect the typical teenage vandal/thief to be able to pick up. I pealed the pretty label off of the showtime box, and considered mounting it to the side of my house. The problem with that is it would be attached via masonry anchors. I'd like to be able to have the controller stay somewhat portable, so I was just considering some options.

Thanks again for the advice. :smile:

The truck box should be plenty of room for heat build-up issues. The controller will not build up much heat at all, like was stated before, only if it is being loaded heavily, which you stated that you wouldn't be.

>> Bill

I hate to say this guys but I have four out five controllers just out in my display. I think most people or kids will see how many wires are attached to it - it would be worth the hasstle. Stealing or vandalising a blowmold seems to be much easier.

If someones wants to steal it, they will steal it - nothing you have will prevent that.

Bill Jr.