Light-O-Rama Forums

Floating Pumpkins

PMC

I did the Phantom Ghost, how here's Floating Pumpkins

I am using the Phantom Ghost power supply and pulley system, These pumpkins weigh over a 1lb with the flashlights

I took 3 of those 99 cent Wal-Mart pumpkins, added 1-9 LED Flashlight per pumpkin and I plan on using 1 pair of 22 gauge cable and removing the batteries out of these flashlights and using a 5v DC @ between 1/4 and 1/2 amp power supply to light them up

The 22 gauge wire will act as a stabilizer so the pumpkins won't be spinning in the wind

I was thinking this morning I needed to stress out that motor, so I thought of using those pumpkins and as I was driving to work this morning I thought...Hey, Lets light those things up

And all I wanted to do was add 3lbs to that motor.

By the way, Motor is on day 3 spinning 24 hours a day

What I might do is put 1 pumpkin in each hand of the ghost, I think that could look good

Okay, now I need to try that

After sitting on my porch I was looking at my fence where I have those solar powered lights on every other fence post and it hit me..... that would be the perfect solution to light up the pumpkins that's in the ghosts hands, I did it and it looks good
so now no need to convert that LED flashlight or run additional power cables

now I need to put the Ghost where the sun will recharge those batteries in October, or just recharge a set and change them when needed, I like it
(I didn't do a video for this one)

PMC wrote:

After sitting on my porch I was looking at my fence where I have those solar powered lights on every other fence post and it hit me..... that would be the perfect solution to light up the pumpkins that's in the ghosts hands, I did it and it looks good
so now no need to convert that LED flashlight or run additional power cables

now I need to put the Ghost where the sun will recharge those batteries in October, or just recharge a set and change them when needed, I like it
(I didn't do a video for this one)

Some added suggestions: (What you do with them is entirely up to you!)

If I were to use Solar lights, I would go for finding those that FLICKER like a candle flame and use those in the pumpkins, after all they are supposed to be Jack O' Lanterns and lit by candles. Or you could also use those battery operated candles, they work very well to light these up too and give the effect you have an actual candle in there.

I used these battery powered flickering candle lights in my 2010 display in some Jack O Lantern's I had hanging off the eve of the house we were living in at the time. The only pitfall was before the show I had to turn them on, then at the end of the show I had to go and turn them off. But they lasted all month on their batteries.

If I were to "hardwire" the pumpkins(which is what I would probably do) so I could use an LOR channel (would require 2 channels, 1 for each Jack O' Lantern), then I'd use C7 bulbs and the flickering candle effect to emulate the flame of a candle inside them.

I think this effect(utilizing LOR channels) or use of the flickering solar candles or the battery powerd candles would definitely have them stand out just a little more, than just a steady on light inside them.

I would also (just me, mind you) prefer the Jack O' Lanterns faces were facing outward on the Jack O' Lanterns as well, instead of just looking like a bare pumkin floating in space. Again, just my opinion, your mileage may be different.:P

Thanks Paul :)

Orville,

You hit it right on the head, instead of a flickering C7, you triggered where I am going to put my cauldron lights...in her hands

I haven't ordered them yet but they will look great in her hands. I was going to mount them from the porch ceiling and I will LOR control them

Thanks for the idea

Attached files 255739=14040-Hanging Flame Light.JPG

PMC wrote:

Thanks Paul :)

Orville,

You hit it right on the head, instead of a flickering C7, you triggered where I am going to put my cauldron lights...in her hands

I haven't ordered them yet but they will look great in her hands. I was going to mount them from the porch ceiling and I will LOR control them

Thanks for the idea

You're welcome! And I agree, I think those caulron lights will work far better than the pumpkins too. I had forgotten about those and I have a couple of them stashed away somewhere too.

HHHmmmmm.... Now Where could one purchase cauldron lights? Do I have to await in-season? :shock:

Thanks Muchly! Got a couple wiper motors on the way...May not have any trick-or-treaters around here (for the last 7 years) but will create a show anywayz :cool:

rodman1369 wrote:

Thanks Muchly! Got a couple wiper motors on the way...May not have any trick-or-treaters around here (for the last 7 years) but will create a show anywayz :cool:

Where we were living before, we ALWAYS got a lot of trick or treaters, and every year it would increase, once I went to LOR and started my display, it actually tripled the number we had Halloween night in 2010.

Sadly, here where we are now, in an apartment, even though a lot of children are here, I heard they don't usually trick or treat here in the complex, but, then, I didn't live here last year and I've got a feeling once the 2011 Halloween display goes up, that's gonna change this year. I'm going to buy candy and have it ready, just in case! If not, well, more for me and the wife to munch on.:) So it's still a win situation, at least for me.:cool:

And where WE lived before...I saw them bringing in vanloads of kids. I had a small fog machine with cooler which would fill the neighborhood with ankle-deep fog...a small laser lightshow on the side of my rv. Even real-life Black Cats peeking out the windows at trick-or-treaters...was asked on more than one occasion to remove my mask so the younger sister would not be afraid to come get candy! Them were the dayz! :dude:

Bernie wrote:

Looks Great......

Maybe a little orange florescent paint for her eye balls.

Bernie

that would look good.... thanks