Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR1602W Power Question

Guest guest

I am starting to run short on time and need to know if I can run these 2 - 16 channel units on 2 seperate circuits rather than 4 circuits. Simple question and hope I can. Your help is as always appreciated.

Woolfman

woolfman wrote:

I am starting to run short on time and need to know if I can run these 2 - 16 channel units on 2 seperate circuits rather than 4 circuits. Simple question and hope I can. Your help is as always appreciated.

Woolfman

Yes, thats what the jumpers are for. But you need to make sure that each board will not draw more then each circuit can supply.

Yes, they are labeled on the wiring strip. But just to clarify, these types of jumpers require that you connect two pieces of either #12 or #14 wire for the hot and neutral connections to bridge the two sides of the board together.

In other words, these jumpers are not the kind you'd see on a PC motherboard (small).

Depending on the power cords used, you can supply as much as 20 amps to a 16 channel board using the jumper technique (assumong that you have the correct outlets, cords, etc.) Most installations would probably be 15 amp outlets, etc.

We recommend that you put together a spreadsheet that outlines what you're going to power with the controller so you can add it up and make sure it doesn't exceed the limit of your power supply and cords....

I hope that helps....Randy

Assuming you have 4 cords, just plug 2 into each outlet.

What you'll have to cut back on though is the power going into each controller. They are normally set up so up to 15 amps can run thru each set of 8 circuits, or 30 amps altogether. You'll need to stay below 15 amps for the entire box of 16 circuits, because most likely you're using a 15 amp outlet to plug the box into. And that's assuming the circuit breaker you're using is dedicated to this use only

Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I need to get my picture of my wife and me because I feel left out. :} This is exactly what I am going to do. I have 2 outlets dedicated 20 amp(2 circuits) and I will jump the units inside and use 1 cord from each unit to plug into the power and I should be up and running correct? If I am wrong let me know.

Woolfman

woolfman wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I need to get my picture of my wife and me because I feel left out. :} This is exactly what I am going to do. I have 2 outlets dedicated 20 amp(2 circuits) and I will jump the units inside and use 1 cord from each unit to plug into the power and I should be up and running correct? If I am wrong let me know.

You don't need to change the 1602s in any way. Just do what roadnut says and plug both cords from one controller into one duplex outlet and both cords from the other controller into the another duplex outlet. In the unlikely case that you have a single duplex outlet that has a 20 amp circuit on each receptacle, use adapters or extension cords to get both 1602 power cords into one receptacle.