Light-O-Rama Forums

Aaaaaaauuuugh!

scubado

My Birch tree is swarmed with Japanese beetles along with one of my neighbors tree. I put out a couple traps for them and yesterday had about 7 lbs of the Damn things!!!Today there is no breeze for the traps to work effectively, so it's not going well for the tree. I wish I could scare them away with my lights. :X:X:X

You can squish one at a time- they make a crunch sound. They can also clog a bug zapper fast.

scubado wrote:

My Birch tree is swarmed with Japanese beetles along with one of my neighbors tree. I put out a couple traps for them and yesterday had about 7 lbs of the Damn things!!!Today there is no breeze for the traps to work effectively, so it's not going well for the tree. I wish I could scare them away with my lights. :X:X:X

Get some Sevin insect spray at your local Home Depot, Lowes, or even Walmart carries it. It is fairly cheap. You can get it in the concentrate and put it in a hose sprayer, or they sell an all-in-one hose sprayer bottle. Works well, and will save your tree. Make sure you treat for grubs during grubs in the yard during that season since that is where the beetles are coming from. Do this very soon though, since they will eat all the leaves in a day or 2 if there is enough of them.

Concentrate_Products.jpg57bf5a5557c78b51fe30cc7e11034310.jpg

Thanks, I'll get to the store after work tomorrow. Should be fun trying to spray a 25' tree. I will probably need to take a shower immediately after I'm done.

You should have seen the tub when I added the neighbor's 5 or so lbs of bugs into the water, it was disgusting!

Attached files 254619=13952-029a.jpg

Actually a hose sprayer makes it pretty easy. I would suggest getting a separate hose sprayer such as shown below since it will tend to spray further, and use the concentrate. I have the Dial N Spray and it will easily spray 25 feet (especially if you snap off the fan spray nozzle piece). The sevin hose sprayer might only get 10-15'.

25949066-260x260-0-0_Ortho+Dial+N+Spray+Hose+End+Sprayer.jpg

scubado wrote:

You should have seen the tub when I added the neighbor's 5 or so lbs of bugs into the water, it was disgusting!

The problem with those bag traps is that they emit a pheromone that attracts the beetles to your yard. Your yard is where the party is at! If must use, make sure to put them in a very back corner of the property away from any ornamental trees or bushes.

If they do eat all the leaves off tree, will it come back next year, or does it kill the tree?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

scubado wrote:

The problem with those bag traps is that they emit a pheromone  that attracts the beetles to your yard.  Your yard is where the party is at!  If must use, make sure to put them in a very back corner of the property away from any ornamental trees or bushes. 

I placed the bags upwind from the tree and was very effective yesterday. Today not much wind movement, so the bugs stayed in the tree.

scubado wrote:

If they do eat all the leaves off tree, will it come back next year, or does it kill the tree?

If the tree is strong to begin with, it probably will survive, but will be weaker next year (prone to disease and such). It would fair better if it was a little later in the summer since it would be closer to when it goes dormant. If it were me, I would be inclined to respray it a week or 2 later to get any stragglers. If it has been very dry and/or hot, I would probably water around the base of the trunk to help prevent additional stress to the tree (soak for 15 minutes).

I had thousands of them in our yard, and I mean thousands, about 4 years back. Knowing their life cycle (they are grubs in early spring), I started applying grub killer to our 1.5 acres of lawn annually, each April/May. As much as I hate using chemicals, it was necessary to save my trees, bushes, etc...

I have had no more than a couple of dozen found in any of may gardens since that time! This is the third year I have applied same.

As an added benefit all my moles are gone now too. No more post winter trails!

The problem with the traps, as has been stated is they will draw additional beetles from up to several miles away, so you really don't want to keep using them.

They will trap quite a few, but they draw even more...

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

I had thousands of them in our yard, and I mean thousands, about 4 years back. Knowing their life cycle (they are grubs in early spring), I started applying grub killer to our 1.5 acres of lawn annually, each April/May. As much as I hate using chemicals, it was necessary to save my trees, bushes, etc...

I have had no more than a couple of dozen found in any of may gardens since that time! This is the third year I have applied same.

As an added benefit all my moles are gone now too. No more post winter trails!

The problem with the traps, as has been stated is they will draw additional beetles from up to several miles away, so you really don't want to keep using them.

They will trap quite a few, but they draw even more...

Greg

I'm finding that to be true this year. Last year set a couple traps, this year an explosion of them.

I got the Sevin brand hose concetrate bottle, they didn't have the Ortho. I sprayed the tree, could only get the lower half. I went back a little later and could only find a few bugs. So hopefully I'm good for now. If they come back, I'll get the separate sprayer to get higher in the tree, and then treat for grubs in Spring. Thanks guys for your valuable help.

Anybody want them for jewelry? They're really shiney! :cool:

My neighbor's got another 5lbs of them crispy, shiney critters! She's one of those that doesn't like chemicals, well she's gonna loose her tree if she doesn't let me spray it.

scubado wrote:

Anybody want them for jewelry? They're really shiney! :cool:

My neighbor's got another 5lbs of them crispy, shiney critters! She's one of those that doesn't like chemicals, well she's gonna loose her tree if she doesn't let me spray it.

Spray it when she isn't home, or else they will eventually migrate on to your property. Now they will kill the trees and plants, and when they are in the grub stage they will kill your lawn.