Light-O-Rama Forums

Hard Drive Crashed

jonnyci

Hello

The laptop I used for last years show and ALL, of my files has died. The hard drive is giving me the "click of death". All of my music, sequences, everything went bye bye. I will be replacing the hard drive and installing Windows 7.

My questions are, is the LOR 2 software compatible with Windows 7?
Can I use the same licensce key that I was originally sent?

Thanks

shfr26 wrote:

Yes and yes, as long as you have not up your 5 seats, I think it's 5.

and if you have USED up all your seats, just email LOR and they will give you more...

Great! This is the best news I have heard since the laptop died. This past weeked my basement flooded, so I've got that fun to deal with.

jonnyci wrote:

This past weekend my basement flooded, so I've got that fun to deal with.

indoor pool...great way to beat the heat wave!!!

jonnyci wrote:

Hello

The laptop I used for last years show and ALL, of my files has died. The hard drive is giving me the "click of death". All of my music, sequences, everything went bye bye. I will be replacing the hard drive and installing Windows 7.

My questions are, is the LOR 2 software compatible with Windows 7?
Can I use the same licensce key that I was originally sent?

Thanks

Hope you backed up your sequence files. If not, it still might be possible to get the files off the hard drive. Would probably be worth the effort considering how much time you probably have tied up in the sequencing.

I wouldnt think so.. 'said the drive was doing the "click of death".. Jonny, first commandment of computing is ... eveyone say it with me..

"Thou Shalt Backup!"

Even on a 128mb thumbdrive ($2).. you -might- not be able to save the music with it, but the sequences at least..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I wouldnt think so.. 'said the drive was doing the "click of death".. Jonny, first commandment of computing is ... eveyone say it with me..

"Thou Shalt Backup!"

Even on a 128mb thumbdrive ($2).. you -might- not be able to save the music with it, but the sequences at least..

Wasn't Best Buy advertising a 4gig thumbdrive for $5 this week?

Backing up is always a good thing. Even when you think all is lost it in fact may still be there. My first year's computer hard drive crashed. I thought I had lost it all. My third year while trying to find an old mp3 file I ran across a backup on a thumb drive I did and not even realize was it was there. I wound up starting over from scratch my second year.

It was awesome that I was able to recover my first years work and also a little scary. I realized that I had come a long ways from my first year effort and it was not something that I would ever want to share with others.

Backup your work to other thumb drives or other machines. Even if it is not the most current work some or most is better than having to start over. Music files can be replaced but your programming is unique and worth backing up thumb drive, Hard Drive, or CD/DVD.

Same yourself the headache and take the time to back it up. Hard drives fail, errors occur, no one is exempt it will happen to all of us. Take the time to backup your work.

Backup on line!

I use DropBox and backup often!

You could try to access the data from the dead drive with GetDataBack.

It recovered a drive I thought was gone. Make sure you don't write to the drive.

Sorry Jonny as everyone here has said,
Jesus saves and so should you. :P
Dropbox and the Microsoft Sky Drive are free. Flash drives are great for backup but they fail too so don't only use one of them.
If you want to automatically backup all your data, then I recommend carbonite because it will run all the time and you do not need to do anything other than leave the computer connected to the Internet.

I have a Seagate Go-Flex 2TB drive sitting on my network. The software provided will allow you to back up 5 machines (for more you require to pay for extra licences). Every time you save a file, it is automatically backed up to the networked drive when the pc has free processor time.

Regards,

Alan.

Jim,
you are right on with that one, USB flash drives are not a good archival or safe storage method.

There are numerous options for backups, depending on your needs and finances. There are pluses and minuses for all types of backups.

I wrote a blog about backup options for my customers, if you are interested, here is the link:

http://paulrepair.blogspot.com/

jonnyci

I had the same click of death a few months ago.

Is your's an external hard drive that has died ?

In my case it was and the actual drive was fine it was the power supply on the external case that malfunctioned. An IT friend of mine took the drive out of the external case, plugged the power right into the drive and it spun up fine. Even though I had everything backed up, we got everything off the bad drive as a percaution.

Good Luck !

Dave

Whatever you do a backup of any kind is better than none at all. If you have a flash drive in your unit and it gets stolen with your unit then you are still out of luck. Offsite storage of important data is always a good idea.

My orginal point though was to at least make a backup of some kind to save your time work and effort.

I have a home server that backs up my network every night. During sequencing times each day is a new file name, just in case I really screw it up.

Call me paranoid, but even with a new system and connected back-ups, a power blip can wreak havoc. I have two computers (one for shows and one to sequence). One set up as a mirror raid the other a single HD. A removable 320 g HD and three flash drives. To me even the cost of a few flash drives it nothing to the demoralizing if not suicidal feeling of having to start all over from the beginning. When in doubt – BACK IT UP.

I back everything up to at least two places. One is a flash drive that I store AT WORK. I don't want any chances that something will happen to everything at home.