Light-O-Rama Forums

Make Something Talk?

Guest guest

I have a song that I would like to have some of my mini trees to go with the singing in the song. To get the effect like it was talking, I use 50% and 100% intensity for the lights.

How do you get the effect that something is talking?

It depends on how tight the grid timing is, but I use fades which overlap. In faster worded passages, the overlap is very high, meaning the fades are more 100 to 80% or 75%. In medium passages, the fades are more from 100% to 50%. In slower passages, it can dip as low as 25% or even 0. I find using a strategy like this causes the lights to flux much like a voice. If spend a lot of time to make sure every syllable is at 100% and fade down relative to how fast the new word/syllable occurs, the result is amazing.

The one time I did it, I used the tapper wizard set to "fade one channel from 100% to zero" or whatever it's called. Then I tapped along with the syllables. After a little manual clean-up of my bad taps, it was reasonably convincing, particularly since in that portion of the sequence, the "talking" object is one of the few things on.

-Tim

Hey ESommer,

I've been doing a lot of that type of sequencing lately. Take a look at my South Park Christmas post earlier in this group. I fade from 100% to 50% on every syllable (yeah I know, *groan*). There's really no set way, just experiment and use what looks good.

comicemp wrote:

Hey ESommer,

I've been doing a lot of that type of sequencing lately. Take a look at my South Park Christmas post earlier in this group. I fade from 100% to 50% on every syllable (yeah I know, *groan*). There's really no set way, just experiment and use what looks good.

I love the piece, Greg! Here's the link: http://lorsequences.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,35/func,fileinfo/id,118/

Thanks Mike!

I was looking for a legit version of this song when I stumbled across Cartman. I immediately imagined what this would look like with my setup and just had to sequences it just for the fun of it. Hope it brought you a chuckle. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a live version of South Park I used this year. The lights are synced a little bit to far ahead of the audio track, but I'm too lazy to fix it for this year. This is on a college campus, so I can get away with using the audio track.

http://lightoramasequences.com/av/michael/2006/South%20Park%20-%20Cartman%20Sings%20Oh%20Holy%20Night/

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't know. Someone I don't know very well had it linked in his AIM profile ages ago. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some friend of a friend's band if you know what I mean. Do you want the track?

• 2 weeks later...

ESommer wrote:

I have a song that I would like to have some of my mini trees to go with the singing in the song. To get the effect like it was talking, I use 50% and 100% intensity for the lights.

How do you get the effect that something is talking?

Here is how I made my Shrek and Donkey talk.