Light-O-Rama Forums

Media file missing

shfr26

I had this problem last year and did not think much about it, now, this year it is popping up again rather often. I will work on a sequence, save it and then go back to it some other time and it states, "media file missing". Does anybody else ever have this minor problem? All I have to do is go back and add the media file, but I wonder why it keeps happening, any thoughts?

EDIT: forgot, version 2.9.4, advanced, 3 gigs of ram, windows XP, all the updates.

I have had it only happen if I have physically moved the location of the file after I created the sequence...

Looks like S2 (don't know about S3) stores all files with a static path (full path down to the drive letter). These are stored in the saved XML files.

When you move your sequences to another machine the files need to be in exactly the same place in order for them to be found. I've considered writing an XSLT script to automatically change the paths. I bumped into this last year and had to redo my schedule.

Also, if you happen to move your music file this will happen to.

The image used for the visualizer is also stored statically.

It would be nice to have a configurable option (and there might be I'm an ignorant newb) where you can specify the base location of all your saved files and then S2 create relative paths from that location. That way if you did move things around you would only have to update the one setting.

jstorms wrote:

Looks like S2 (don't know about S3) stores all files with a static path (full path down to the drive letter). These are stored in the saved XML files.

For the media file, this is true only if you don't store the file within the default audio directory. The default audio directory is at the same level as your default sequences directory, but is called "Audio" instead of "Sequences".

Jim Did not move the file,was in audio

jstorms I am not that computer savy so I have no idea what you said, sorry

bob Same as above.

All of my media files are in LOR/Audio and all my sequences are in LOR/sequences.

EDIT: I had a hard drive failure last year and my kid installed a new one as a "slave" I think, some are on "C" drive some are on "D" drive, hope that is it, cause that I can fix. Anything more, I will have to call my computer guy and have him fix it. Thanks for your answers!;)

shfr26 wrote:

I think, some are on "C" drive some are on "D" drive, hope that is it, cause that I can fix.

if your new audio is on D/My Documents/LOR/Audio that would cause a problem, since by default it is looking in the C drive for the sequences and audio...even if you have a LOR/Sequence or LOR/Audio folder on the D drive...