Light-O-Rama Forums

Spinner/Robin Wheel How-To

Guest Guest

William, I have to say that all the torture and humiliation you bring to the members of this forum, is almost acceptable with the balance of such a great website!;)

Good job!

The first Robin Wheel I built use 3/4" pvc. I have 300 lights per arm (each arm uses 3 channels also). The vertical arms sag. How do you keep your vertical arms straight?

William, thanks for sharing. What do you do to mount the robin wheel to the mounting pole and how do you attach the two "X" cross sections together so they stay at the correct angles to each other?

wbottomley wrote:

Drill holes in the center of the pipe fittings and bent conduit then fasten them with a bolt.

lfbolts.jpg

Thanks for the visual. I was thinking you were going to tell me to purchase a lot of zip ties for the job. Bolt Better Ugh!

wbottomley wrote:

Drill holes in the center of the pipe fittings and bent conduit then fasten them with a bolt.

lfbolts.jpg
what size bolt? nuts? is this a righty or a lefty? why not 100 zip ties?:dude::dude:

• 3 months later...

caniac wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

lfbolts.jpg
what size bolt? nuts? is this a righty or a lefty? why not 100 zip ties?:dude::dude:

Ok so I am a visual kind of guy. Any chance of seeing a picture of the spinner mounted to the pipe? :)

Guest wbottomley

evan.a wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Some of us decorators have Spinners/Robin wheels in our display. Now, there's not a wrong way to make them. Your way is the best but I have a article on how I made mine.

http://www.highcountrylights.com/how-do-we-do-it.html

Read over it and if you like it, make it! Then, enjoy! :D

an fyi, your how do we do it link is broken.

Ooopppsssss......

http://www.highcountrylights.com/blog/making-spinners.html

I used 2 smaller bolts to hold the "X" pieces together. With 2 smaller ones you don't have to tighten the nut up as much to prevent them from trying to rotate.

For mounting, I extend the bottom arm and use that instead of using the center hub for mounting.

No best way, just the way that works for you.