Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB LED Strip Connector Help

rodman1369

Hi there
I have an RGB LED Dream Strip with 94 effect controller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dream-color-RGB-5M-5050-Flash-LED-Strip-Light-94-change-/150527564861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c245c3d

and a RGB SMD 5050 LED Strip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5M-RGB-SMD-5050-150-LED-Strip-Flexible-light-waterproof-/170662324145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bc4467b1

Trouble is...both have 4 wires but different colors.
The Dream is on the right and new strip on the left.

I am thinking of converting connectors to 4 pin molex'

Any words of wisdom as to color to pin compatability?

I want to use both with the 94 controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/94Mode-Flash-Controller-5050-Dream-Color-StripLight-/180670600608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ce95a0

and maybe with LOR as well hopefully

Attached files 252073=13706-RGB Connectors.jpg

If I understand your question, you are concerned about the different colored wires on the two strips?

With most things from China (in my experience) the color of the wire doesn't matter. But what is important is the voltage/signal on those wires.

So you would need to verify the voltage/signal that the "94 controller" outputs on it's "two SPI Signal" outputs is compatiable with the second 5050 strip inputs regardless of wire color and the order of the wire and if both srips are common anode or common cathode wired

Because I already use .93" Molex plugs for 120v lighting (arches, mega-trees, chasing C7 candlesticks), I decided to use something different for the 12v RGB ribbons I bought from Ray Wu.

So I shopped the local surplus store and found some 4-pin DIN connectors. There is no question that these are low-voltage, and they seem pretty solid. I'll have to wait until December to see how they do in the rain.

Steven wrote:

Because I already use .93" Molex plugs for 120v lighting (arches, mega-trees, chasing C7 candlesticks), I decided to use something different for the 12v RGB ribbons I bought from Ray Wu.

So I shopped the local surplus store and found some 4-pin DIN connectors. There is no question that these are low-voltage, and they seem pretty solid. I'll have to wait until December to see how they do in the rain.

Why wait till December? Put one out in the backyard and turn on the water sprinkler.

MikeH

MikeH wrote:

Why wait till December? Put one out in the backyard and turn on the water sprinkler.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I usually just assume things are going to work perfectly without testing them. :) The other thing I need to worry about this year is if the new mega tree, which is made out of EMT conduit, will rust.

MikeH wrote:

Steven wrote:

MikeH

I didn't realize that it only rains in December in California. :? Must be nice.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

We have 2 seasons here: Rain, which we call Winter, goes from about November to March. The other is sun, with some exceptions (like today, when it's unusually cloudy).

Sometimes we Californians want to see what 4 seasons are like, so then we travel. (Although I haven't seen snow since I started this hobby!)

:D

Surfing4Dough wrote:

MikeH wrote:
Steven wrote:

MikeH

As the song goes "it seems it never rains in southern California......"