Light-O-Rama Forums

Duplicate channels

steve synek

Here’s the set up. I will be configuring a CCR into a rectangle with a line through the middle. Picture two squares sitting on top of each other. The top of one square is the bottom of the square above. So my question concerns duplicate channels. Can I create a track with the center pixels duplicated and flipped in order to program a figure 8 chase through the pixels? This would be so much easier than chopping the chase. I know there was a thread talking about the relationship of the master track to other tracks and I’m not sure if I would have to duplicate channels in both tracks. Question 2. Would I have to paint the duplicate channels in the visualizer? Would the visualizer recognize the duplicate channels as one?

Thanks

Steve

Yes, this is exactly how I use tracks.

The visualizer would recognize the duplicate channels as one.

Make sure you actually do 'duplicate' the channels.

I have ALL my channels in a master track. From there I duplicate these channels as needed into another track. In this duplicated track I can move the channels up or down as needed to get the configuration I am looking for.

Steve

I just made a animation sequence on my CCR. I left channels 1-25 the same.

I then reassigned 26-50 on the CCR to match 1-25. I only programmed 1-25 to see if the second half of the ribbon would duplicate the first. SAD to say NO !!!!!!! (would have been nice to only have to do 25 shannels instead of 50 but it doesn't work)

Reread your post and see you mentioned trcks my bad,But you had my head spinning to see if my thing would work.

Thanks guys, but I'm not sure you told me the answer just yet. For a moment, lets forget about anything but the main track. Ron, I should have tried what you did. Did you program anything in the 2nd group after changing the channel ID numbers? This would be a great test which I will do shortly. Start renaming channel numbers in a descending order and program a chase across all 50 channels. Will the ribbon do a forward and back chase on half the ribbon? (assuming I leave 1-25 as is and than rename channels 26-50 in a descending order from 25 to 1- thus duplicating the first 25 channels).

And now the visualizer question. Would I have to paint both the original and the duplicate channels in the visualizer to see this work? Or will I see the forward and back chase by only painting the original channel?

Feel free to respond.............I will get back here after my test run.

Steve

steve synek wrote:

(assuming I leave 1-25 as is and than rename channels 26-50 in a descending order from 25 to 1- thus duplicating the first 25 channels).

You would not want to duplicate channels within the same track. Bad things can, and usually will, happen.

OK- I have my answers. Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I should have done what Ron did and just run a test (which I now have the results) You can have two identical(duplicate) RGB channels in the main track. In my test run, they both controlled the lights as programmed. You must paint both (duplicates) channels in the visualize in order to view them in the visualizer. I am going to assume that when I create a new track and put them in the order I want, I will not get any strange side effects doing this in S2.

Steve

Wow- almost 90 posts!!!:D Is that close to the 3000 club?

Don wrote:

steve synek wrote:
(assuming I leave 1-25 as is and than rename channels 26-50 in a descending order from 25 to 1- thus duplicating the first 25 channels).

You would not want to duplicate channels within the same track. Bad things can, and usually will, happen.

If I hit ignore, will the bad things go away? :D

Don- I don't want to hear this!!!!

Don wrote:

steve synek wrote:
(assuming I leave 1-25 as is and than rename channels 26-50  in a descending order from 25 to 1- thus duplicating the first 25 channels).

Yeah, bad things can happen. However renaming the channels is not the same as "duplicating" a channel.
When you use the "duplicate channel" feature in the sequencer it will truly duplicate that channel in another track.
I must of misunderstood your first post. I thought you wanted to use the duplicate channel feature thus duplicating the selected channels into another track. Then rearrange these duplicated channels in a different order.
The "renaming" you are describing now will not work.

steve synek wrote:

OK- I have my answers. Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I should have done what Ron did and just run a test (which I now have the results) You can have two identical(duplicate) RGB channels in the main track. In my test run, they both controlled the lights as programmed. You must paint both (duplicates) channels in the visualize in order to view them in the visualizer. I am going to assume that when I create a new track and put them in the order I want, I will not get any strange side effects doing this in S2.
Steve

If you had to paint them both in the visualizer then they are not truly duplicated channels. You can certainly get an undesired affect when your display is up and running.
Renaming, changing controller ID, and channel number of a 'channel' in the grid to match that of another channel in the grid does not duplicate that channel.

Edit....I don't know why "paint" and "match" are in blue text:?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Don wrote:
Steve synek wrote:

Yeah, bad things can happen. However renaming the channels is not the same as "duplicating" a channel.
When you use the "duplicate channel" feature in the sequencer it will truly duplicate that channel in another track.
I must of misunderstood your first post. I thought you wanted to use the duplicate channel feature thus duplicating the selected channels into another track. Then rearrange these duplicated channels in a different order.
The "renaming" you are describing now will not work.

Paul

I am getting the feeling duplicating a channel in the same track is bad even though my simple test had no issues. Are you saying that changing a channel ID (renaming- controller number and channel) in the main track will not work? (my very simple test worked) Would it make any difference in my above example, if I deleted channels 26-50 on the CCR and than Inserted 25 new RGB channels and assigned them an ID for the first time as opposed to just changing existing channels that would no longer be used? (for the sake of this response- lets assume this is a single track sequence.)

Steve

steve synek wrote:

Paul

I am getting the feeling duplicating a channel in the same track is bad even though my simple test had no issues. Are you saying that changing a channel ID (renaming- controller number and channel) in the main track will not work? (my very simple test worked) Would it make any difference in my above example, if I deleted channels 26-50 on the CCR and than Inserted 25 new RGB channels and assigned them an ID for the first time as opposed to just changing existing channels that would no longer be used? (for the sake of this response- lets assume this is a single track sequence.)

Steve

There is no way that I know of to 'duplicate' a channel 'manually'.

Steve,

Try this.

Create a new animation sequence. Use the defaults for channels.
Create 3 RGB Channels. (Right click on the last channel, Insert RGB Channels-> Insert Multiple RGB Channels)
Assign all 3 of them to Controller 1 (or whatever you have the CCR Controller set to) and all to channel 1.
Now, do a fade up on one channel, fade down on another, and twinkle on the third.

The result is that you have 3 channels visually on the screen. However, all three are assigned to controller 1/channel 1.

Now, run the sequence. (Again and again.) (And again.) Since you are sending different commands to the same channel, you can't predict what will happen.

You do not want this in your (single track) sequence.

Paul Roberson wrote:

steve synek wrote:
Steve

If you had to paint them both in the visualizer then they are not truly duplicated channels. You can certainly get an undesired affect when your display is up and running.
Renaming, changing controller ID, and channel number of a 'channel' in the grid to match that of another channel in the grid does not duplicate that channel.

Edit....I don't know why I "paint" and "match" are in blue text:?

Blue looks good....................I think I will call my duplicate channels on the same track "Twins". Logically, I am struggling with why my idea won't work. Must be the gremlins inside the computer who don't like twins.

Steve

Don wrote:

Steve,

Try this.

Create 3 RGB Channels. (Right click on the last channel, Insert RGB Channels-> Insert Multiple RGB Channels)
Assign all 3 of them to Controller 1 (or whatever you have the CCR Controller set to) and all to channel 1.
Now, do a fade up on one channel, fade down on another, and twinkle on the third.

The result is that you have 3 channels visually on the screen. However, all three are assigned to controller 1/channel 1.

Now, run the sequence. (Again and again.) (And again.) Since you are sending different commands to the same channel, you can't predict what will happen.

From my understading you don't want to 'duplicate' a channel manually even in multiple tracks. Correct?

In order to duplicate a channel correctly the 'Duplicate channel" feature must be used. Am I correct here Don?

Don wrote:

Steve,

Try this.

Thank you Don...............New logic just kicked in............My simple brain now sees one twin saying lights off............other twin saying lights on............conflict.............Thank you!!!!:D

Paul Roberson wrote:

From my understading you don't want to 'duplicate' a channel manually even in multiple tracks. Correct?

In order to duplicate a channel correctly the 'Duplicate channel" feature must be used. Am I correct here Don?

Correct. Right Click -> Duplicate to new Track (or Copy/Move.)

Using the duplicate tool will make a copy of the channel in a new track (all the while leaving the internal ID (that the computer sees) the same.