Light-O-Rama Forums

Start up Lag

cenote

Wondering if anybody else sees this. When I load only the first musical sequence in sequencer, the computer lags (program freezes) for a short time. Maybe 5-6 seconds. Than doesn't do it again, tell I close program down.
Just reloaded this machine with professional win7, on a nicely loaded gaming machine. Am using latest 2.9.4v

This happens on my desktop with Vista, but on my new laptop with Win7 it is really fast.

Don, same here, I don't see it on my win7 laptop either. And it has a lot less ram :?

cenote wrote:

Wondering if anybody else sees this. When I load only the first musical sequence in sequencer, the computer lags (program freezes) for a short time. Maybe 5-6 seconds. Than doesn't do it again, tell I close program down.
Just reloaded this machine with professional win7, on a nicely loaded gaming machine. Am using latest 2.9.4v

The larger the sequence, the more lag time you are going to see. One forum member ran into this with his display in 2010. Given the number of channels, etc., in his display his start up time was over 5 minutes. Thus if he set his show to start at 6:00 it would be 6:05 or later before the show would actually start.

Why?

When you are creating a show look at the "Options" button. There you see two options for Sequence Loading. If you load the sequences when needed, you are going to see a slight delay before each sequence.

If you load before any are played, the LOR will load each sequence and have them ready to go when needed.

So if you had 3 sequences that were very large (we're talking over 600+ channels, plus RGB) then each one will take a few moments to load. If you select the first option, then you will see a delay the first time each sequence is played (or, 3 delays). If you chose the second option, you will see 1 delay before any sequence it played. It will be a little longer, but will only happen once.

As of 2.9.4 there is no real work-around. The previously mentioned member simply had to move the start time of his show back so that it would start close to the advertised time each night.

Don wrote:

When you are creating a show look at the "Options" button. There you see two options for Sequence Loading. If you load the sequences when needed, you are going to see a slight delay before each sequence.

Don, Is this in the Show or when programing in sequencer? I knew about the lag time for starting shows, but not sure if you are referring to a lag in sequence editor too.

cenote wrote:

Don, Is this in the Show or when programing in sequencer? I knew about the lag time for starting shows, but not sure if you are referring to a lag in sequence editor too.

For the purposes of this discussion, the Sequence Editor doesn't exist. :P

Everything I talked about was in the Show Editor.