Light-O-Rama Forums

4th of July Show

andyzito

Hope you enjoy... constructive feedback always welcomed.

http://www.vimeo.com/26111191

The important stuff -

(64) standard channels, (16) relays for the fountains, (48) DC channels for the columns and fireworks. The flag was 40' x 16', had 35 sections, (7 stripes, 5 rows per stripe).. took 110 sets of 100 bulb incandescent minis. It weighed almost 200 lbs.

Any other questions, ask away!

az

That's another good reason to add a 4th of July forum. :-)))

fountains were super simple....get a bunch of 24v irrigation valves, like for underground sprinkler systems.....find em at Home Depot for like $12 per.

Do up your PVC plumbing....in my case i had 1 long manifold with one 3/4" input connector and 6 3/4" outputs. Each outlet went to an irrigation valve, then out the other side of the valve to the nozzle (which was just a simple jet nozzle - again find at home depot).

Then i just ran my regular hose to a 750gpm pump and then connected that pump to a commercial grade hose which i ran to the input port. The pump kept about 90psi in the system at all times ( i put a relief valve set to 90psi to bleed off any additional pressure and avoid rupture. ) So what i've got now is a system where there is 90psi being held back by the 6 irrigation valves. Then you just need a way to trigger those. Enter the relay boards from LOR. Connect a 24v source to the relay board, wire each valve into a separate channel on the relay board and voila....trigger the relay, which opens the valve, which releases the 90psi.

What you'll notice about my fountains is that all the jets never stay on long...because the pressure dies pretty quickly. It was my first round, i shall improve it.

GREAT SHOW and GREAT VIDEO!!! How did you do the fireworks and the end of the show??? Were they controlled with LOR as well? That was awesome, absolutely awesome!!!

yea, everything was fired by an LOR controller of some sort. The pyro in the front was just a simple flash pot fired by a 9v igniter. The big fireworks at the end of the show were finale packs (9 big mortars in one package with one fuse) - there were 2 of them.

While the flash pots just needed a 9v igniter, the finale packs actually had a fuse that needed to be lit...so i used a 9v igniter, wrapped in some pyro cotton & flash paper. the fuse for the finale pack is wrapped in that...so the igniter lights the cotton and flash paper, which lights the fuse.

Basically for each pyro effect i use i use a relay channel on my relay controller. i connect the - of a 9v power supply through the relay...then the output of the relay runs through a dead man safety switch and on to the igniter. If i'm not holding down that switch, even though the relay fires, the circuit isn't completed and the igniter doesnt fire.

The controller actually fires the effect though, so its in perfect sequence. I just have to have my foot on the switch for the effect to actually fire. avoids accidentally firing a finale pack into my eye.....

andyzito wrote:

The controller actually fires the effect though, so its in perfect sequence.

So I had to watch the video again just cuz, and indeed it was executed flawlessly! Great timing FOR SURE!!! GREAT WORK!!!