Light-O-Rama Forums

Recreating christmas lights on Cinderella's castle

marsh28

I noticed that for the holiday season, Disney lights up the castle with lights that look like icicle lights on steroids. Does anyone know how they achieve this effect? Has anyone tried it on their own home? My guess is that Disney uses some sort of netting and then zip ties the lights to the netting.

On the left coast, sleeping beauty's castle, scenic pieces were made to recreate the look of snow. the lights are embedded into those pieces

That's exactly how they do it (for Disneyland in Anaheim atleast). They get netting and paint it, then attach hundreds of LED light strings to the nets in an icicle shape to make it look like huge icicles coming down from the top. I wanted to try it but I don't have money for that many LEDs and my house would prob need to have high eves all the way around to look good.. :/

Disney had a special on TV last year before Christmas about how they do it. They explained all the different computer controlled channels and RGB floods they are using.

I still have the show on my DVR.. If only I could figure out how to pull it and post it online haha.