Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange Problem with CTB-16 Deluxe Kit

Guest guest

Just finished building a CTB-16 Deluxe... When I power it up with the rotary switches set at 00 the LED blinks, computer won't connect... Manual says 00 isn't vaild, so I tried 01. LED stops blinking (constant OFF), the Hardware utility's auto config finds the correct com port, but doesn't find the CTB-16D when I "refresh". Interestingly enough all the output channels blink about once per second when on any selection other than 00. Also, when I place the jumper on J0 (as if it were a standard kit) the computer connects and it works fine...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Paul

Both switches are 0 up...

The instructions say to jumper across INPUT1 & LED on J0 for the standard kit, when I do that it allows me to connect and control the outputs... With the jumper off, per the deluxe kit instructions, I get the behavoir described before...

--Paul

I forgot about the deluxe option. The difference is with the 2 switches (S0 & S1), the speed control R0 (potentiometer) and the EEPROM U0.

My guess would be to verify U0. Verify if it is oriented with the notch on the left and that there are no bent pins. The marking should be 24LC256I/P. Verify also that it was not mixed with U1 next to it that should be MAX3082EEPA or ISL81487LIP.

You can check this thread also were Dan mention some kits that may have received the wrong component. Not sure if there is any link to your issue.

Yves

I know on the deluxe kit it has one different IC to the left. Make sure PIN 1 is going the right way. Maybe you have one in backwards.

pbryan7 wrote:

Just finished building a CTB-16 Deluxe... When I power it up with the rotary switches set at 00 the LED blinks, computer won't connect... Manual says 00 isn't vaild, so I tried 01. LED stops blinking (constant OFF), the Hardware utility's auto config finds the correct com port, but doesn't find the CTB-16D when I "refresh". Interestingly enough all the output channels blink about once per second when on any selection other than 00. Also, when I place the jumper on J0 (as if it were a standard kit) the computer connects and it works fine...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Paul

U0 & U1 are the correct part # and installed correctly... I verified that I can download a sequence and use standalone mode. Therefore the EEPROM works...

The speed control pot works properly.

The only thing is I can't connect to it without the jumper in place, and the ouputs blink (and not the LED) when on any address other than 00 (without the jumper).

I've also now upgraded the Firmware to the latest on the website, still get the same behavior...

--Paul

Contact Dan via PM. I had problems with mine and he came to the rescue. I sent my boards to them. Turned out that I had several bad solders on my boards. They fixed them, (probably laughing the entire time) and sent them back to me working.

pbryan7 wrote:

When I power it up with the rotary switches set at 00 the LED blinks, computer won't connect... Manual says 00 isn't vaild, so I tried 01. LED stops blinking (constant OFF), the Hardware utility's auto config finds the correct com port, but doesn't find the CTB-16D when I "refresh". Interestingly enough all the output channels blink about once per second when on any selection other than 00. Also, when I place the jumper on J0 (as if it were a standard kit) the computer connects and it works fine...

When you put the jumper on, the firmware doesn't use the unit address switches. So it sounds like that part of the board has a problem. Check the orientation of R2, must be dot on the right. Also, check all solder joints for S0, S1, U3 & R2.

If you don't find anything wrong, you can probably leave the jumper on and set the unit ID with the Hardware Utility for now.