Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I run a sequence via command line?

Aixelsyd

First I'll explain what I am trying to do. My goal is to make a program that can run the lights in a semi automated fashion. Last year I asked about automating to the beat and was told about LORVis (http://nopotatos.com/LORVis/). I didn't have enough time to really look into it but my testing also showed me it's not the best for a display; well at least not a complicated one.

I've decided to go another route now. My intention is to take a USB FM receiver that can receive RDS. Then using the local Christmas station, that hopefully supports RDS, grab the name of the song and play a sequence based on the song name.

Is it possible with the S2 software to call a sequence via command line? If not is there a way I could go about this? I figure if the LORVis can interface with it someone must know how to do it. I did write the author but haven't had a response yet.

I know I'd have to have an extensive playlist library of sequences. I figure for the ones I don't a generic one could be run. Maybe rig a light on the "tune to this station" sign to turn on when sequenced. Easy enough to just use one channel for that and just turn it on during the show.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason

if I understand you correctly you want to play your sequences based on what a radio station is playing using their audio?

You might have to program some software but it would probably be easier to just use a low power FM transmitter and just use the schedule or trigger inputs to start the shows also when a radio station starts a song the name of the song doesn't always start at the same time there might be a timming issue to match the song up to the words

Good point on the timing problem. I hadn't thought of that.

Thinking about it a little I would hope that I could work out the timing. Hopefully with automation like it is it would be consistent.

It's probably a silly idea...

Seems impractical to me. Even if it were possible, would have to have a nearly endless supply of sequences available just to match the titles. And that is assuming that the title RDS text that is sent matches your title (i.e. 12 Days of Christmas vs. Twelve Days of Christmas vs. Twelve Days of Xmas, etc.). Plus enter "carol of the bells" in youtube, and it will pull up probably a 100 different versions, all with different tempo and style (i.e. TSO's version is vastly different that Monique Danielle's). Your sequence might match up with one of them, but not the 99 others (and many of those 99 other versions wouldn't be as good of a song as the 5 very good versions).

I am not quite sure what your goal is (both last year's question with LORvis and this year's )...to create an easier way to having a sequenced display, or is just an aim of trying to be creative with technology? If it is the former, it will never produce as nice of a display even if you could get it to "work". The latter...well, you must have plenty of time on your hands--good for you!

Seems a lot easier to just pick 10 very good, crowd/you pleasing songs and sequence them well and create a high quality display.

My goal was to be able to have music without the worry of any fees/copyright problems with playing music. That and be creative. I figured if it could be automated to the music or animated nicely that would cool.

Imagine pulling up listening to that one station in town who plays all christmas music for a month before Christmas and this guys lights are in sync to it.

I posted because I wanted input and it brought up a couple things I hadn't even thought about yet. Like the different variations in all the songs of the same name. That right there is a major hurdle. That and the time to match all the sequences up and such.

Thanks for the advice and getting me back down to earth.

The's the "lightorama juke box" feature, will be out in S6...:D

I think its a cool idea, but, seems tough to pull off. Just the idea of matching song title/sequence/timing/etc seems like one of those things you could make work, sometimes, but would end up spending more time monitoring to ensure it was working right.

One thing you can do is have a program/script run before or after a sequence runs. You could have that program detect the next song, then regenerate the xml file the show runs on accordingly. It could get a little messy between songs.

Then of course you have the issue of auto-sequencing, making it legal, etc. etc.