Light-O-Rama Forums

defrag your computer

james campbell

I am not computer savy,but I was having trouble with my laptop freezing for a split second during all playback. I defraged my system and all seems fine now.

james campbell wrote:

I am not computer savy,but I was having trouble with my laptop freezing for a split second during all playback. I defraged my system and all seems fine now.
on windows based systems when you install programs and download files by default it sprays it all over (anywhere it can find space without regard as to where it is needed). LOR could be somewhere near the boot sector (or beginning) of your hard disk but the song you are sequencing could be somewhere in south BFE. The read right heads have to travel back and forth loading the program and then playing the song. that is where the "lag" comes from.

defrag takes the drive and puts things "together". your LOR software is right next door to you LOR sequences and music - NO more taking the bus!!LOL

depending on how much you use your computer you should defrag at least once a month (once a week if you do a ton of uploading and downloading and deleting).

that makes sense,glad you put it in terms iI can understand. I always defrag my pc but can't tell if it is faster,but on the laptop now I am a believer

james campbell wrote:

that makes sense,glad you put it in terms iI can understand. I always defrag my pc but can't tell if it is faster,but on the laptop now I am a believer
another thing that slows down pc's is anything that stays in the "system tray" (bottom left side). for most of us it isn't an issue but for some if you have tooooo much running then they steal system resources and bring's your pc to a crawl.

Good example of this is my dear departed mom liked using something called a "scripture scanner". it would pop up a bible verse for her every day when she turned on her computer. she then figured if one was good the eight was great!! they were all running at once and stepping on each other. use to take 45 minutes for her pc to boot up. after I cleaned all that up it would boot up two minutes and ran tons faster.

• 3 weeks later...